× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Anyone tried Solarplexius window tints?

More
22 Jan 2024 18:08 #253667 by GandHisJimny
So these things are basically polycarbonate plastic inserts that behave like a standard film tint but slot into the windows and "just sit there" with clips to hold them in place. I ordered from solarplexius.co.uk/uk/ (not an ad, haven't actually received yet) for £115 with a code for my Gen 3. It's a Swedish company, they're custom shaped to the Jimny and they claim that they're easy to see out of at night etc.

I looked on the forums but couldn't find many people discussing them. Anyone had experiences with them?

I'll come back and update the thread with some pics / my experience once they arrive, which should be tomorrow

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2024 22:34 #253679 by 300bhpton

More
23 Jan 2024 08:56 #253685 by GandHisJimny
Yeah, that's the major downside for many vehicles. But for my Gen 3 with stock rear windows (none of that cool custom gullwing stuff some people do) it's not a problem! I'd only be putting them in the back 3 windows (and indeed that's all you can do because they don't make them for the passenger / driver windows because they'd be too dark to be road legal).

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
23 Jan 2024 09:31 #253688 by Roger Fairclough
The Gen.4 has "Rear privacy Glass" ie tinted, on the SZ5 variant.

Roger

More
23 Jan 2024 11:01 #253690 by DrRobin

Yeah, that's the major downside for many vehicles. But for my Gen 3 with stock rear windows (none of that cool custom gullwing stuff some people do) it's not a problem! I'd only be putting them in the back 3 windows (and indeed that's all you can do because they don't make them for the passenger / driver windows because they'd be too dark to be road legal).

The rules regarding window tint to the front can be found here (at least 75% transmission to the front and 70% for the front side windows)

www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

My Gen 3 has very little tint to the front windscreen and partial tint to the front side windows, I think that is standard.  The rear windows (side and back door) have quite a heavy tint on mine, I think the original owner (he worked at a Suzuki garage, preparing the new cars) put it on as it is obviously a professional job, unless someone replaced the glass?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Jan 2024 11:39 #253691 by BALDY60
no, but ordered a set for my gen4 lcv

More
24 Jan 2024 17:23 #253721 by GandHisJimny
They arrived today and I've put them in! Install process was OK, hardest part by far is getting the back one in. I would recommend having some plastic pry tools on hand just to push them where they're meant to go. I've not driven with them yet but I am cautiously optimistic that will not need to use any of the clips to keep them in place. If I do it wont be because they'll slip out, but because they might rattle (we'll see).

The tints are definitely on the darker side of things. The inside of the car is barely visible. If there's a light on you can see in slightly but only to make out shapes. I'd say it's only one notch more visible that "drug dealer" / "limo". From the inside, during the day, it's good visibility - like having sunglasses on. The sun set about an hour ago and now seeing out of them is definitely harder than if they weren't there. That's really my only concern with them atm, that they're potentially too dark.

We'll see though. I'll upload some photos tomorrow during the day and try to give an update in a few weeks once I'm used to them.

More
24 Jan 2024 17:24 #253722 by GandHisJimny
Oh, and for anyone else with a Gen 3 trying to undo the heated window wires at the back. You literally just pull them down and they (eventually) pop off. I was very concerned I'd snap them or something but nope, got them off. And you'll have to do it too to get the back tint in because it has little rectangle cutous that will only fit with the wires disconnected.

Once it's in place you can plug them back in.

More
25 Jan 2024 14:13 #253740 by GandHisJimny
Some pics:  imgur.com/a/EwG8bwH

I did a quick 5 minute drive to the shops and I'm really happy with them so far. No rattling noise (though we'll see next time I'm on a motorway) and they look really good from the outside (incredibly hard to see through). From the inside it definitely makes it a little tougher to see out of, in particular the rear view mirror. For whatever reason it's much easier to see over my shoulder looking backwards than it is using the mirror, maybe to do with eye adjustment to the dark.The picture that best conveys the inside experience is the rear view mirror one, #3.

Only other issue I've had so far is that a little piece of white thread (from who knows where) got onto the outward facing side and was very obvious, looked like a white scratch. I removed the insert and rubbed it off, looks fine now. But yeah, unless you've got a clean room handy there's a high chance you'll get little bits of dust or whatever visible from the outside.

Will see how I get on with them the next few weeks.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
31 Jan 2024 12:17 #253907 by BALDY60
fitted, will show from inside in a bit.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GandHisJimny

More
31 Jan 2024 12:25 #253908 by BALDY60
and inside looking out
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, GandHisJimny

More
02 Feb 2024 15:58 #253965 by GandHisJimny
Looking snazzy on the gen 4!

Now that I've used mine for a while I realise that leaving them in place without clips does lead to the odd rattle noise from the side windows. I might do it "properly" and use the clips to see if it goes away. Other thing is that yeah, damn they are dark! No two ways about it, it's harder to see out my car at night and if the person behind me doesn't have lights on (even just DRL ones) it can be a challenge to passively notice. Reversing at night is more of a concern also. The upside is that people with horrifically bright LED headlamps are dimmer now and I also feel like I care less if I'm being tailgated, kinda just phase it out lol.

The product is really robust to being forced into place but they do scratch very easily. During the install process I must've scuffed mine because they have some marks on the passenger windows when look at closely from the inside, boo.

Still miles better than anything I could have DIY'd with a film though. Solid 8/10 purchase.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds