× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny boot filled with water after driving through torrential rain (pics inc!)

More
02 Jan 2024 19:28 #253213 by GandHisJimny
Very interesting on the alcohol content / blue colour bit! And yeah, that makes sense about the one-way valve. It failing might explain my fluid draining but not it going into the car itself. This weekend or next I'll pop the back door cover off and take a proper look to see if there's an obvious split anywhere. I was going to do it anyway to stick some sound dampening / lanoguard in there so two birds with one stone...

Big thanks again, will post if I find anything.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2024 13:24 #253222 by GandHisJimny
Investigated more today. I refilled my wiper fluid and intentionally parked on a steep hill. I could see that the wiper fluid was forming drops and leaking out the back jet (outside the car). That would suggest I have the same one-way valve failure everyone else complains about. Should be an easy fix.

But it does imply that my boot water leak is not related to wiper fluid. Not least because when I checked the car I could see a little drizzle of water in the back corner again and that appeared despite my wiper fluid being empty. Given I power washed yesterday it could be that it just took some time to seep through and it is indeed to do with the boot seal / door not closing fully. I'll muck about with it once I've got some free time.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
03 Jan 2024 17:10 #253226 by DrRobin
Fluid leaking out of the washer jet to the outside is probably not the one way valve, it's designed to let fluid out, just doesn't allow reverse flow, i.e. air back in to stop the pipe from draining back in to the reservoir.

A leak from the door, window or roof is most likely and yes, it might take time to seep through and pool in the boot. If it had been leaking through the weld, you would have thought it would have been there straight away.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
09 Jan 2024 14:25 #253385 by GandHisJimny
Still baffled by this. So the whole wiper fluid thing was a distraction but I've replaced the valve and I'll see if it my reservoir drains out or not. Also sound proofed both my doors and the back so woop woop.

But as for the leak, I jet washed again today and there were immediately a few small drips of water in the back driverside corner (it was bone dry before I started, hasn't rained in Glasgow for about 5 days amazingly). It was hanging out where the metal of the boot panel meets the plastic trim. So I am now minded that it must be dodgy factory seam sealing essentially where the rear wheel arch meets the bottom boot panel.

To properly investigate I'll need to take the back seats / panels out again (I seriously hate that job). I may just run a bead of tiger seal along it to remove any doubt.

More
09 Jan 2024 15:21 - 09 Jan 2024 15:54 #253386 by GandHisJimny
The closest thread I can find is this one by Halford (www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...oot-floor-rust-again) - i.e. magic drops of water appearing in the back lol.

Will drop him a message and see if he ever resolved it.

Last edit: 09 Jan 2024 15:54 by GandHisJimny.

More
09 Jan 2024 15:43 #253388 by Halford
never did get to the bottom of it - but maybe Kirkynut  was onto something

More
09 Jan 2024 16:03 #253389 by GandHisJimny
Thanks for responding! I think he's right. Condensation leads to a baseline of water just "being there" and then dodgy seam sealing / only being spot welded means that if it doesn't outright leak into the cabin (like it seems mine is) then moisture still sits there and rots it out.

The solution would therefore be to properly seal the seams and apply insulating material or similar to reduce condensation forming. Then apply some sort of rust preventative stuff on the underside of the vehicle, maybe lanoguard.

It's telling that, aside from the jack area and rear corners, the next most common place for boot panel rot is around the seatbelt anchor points. Likely because its got spot welds but nothing to keep the water & salt from just sitting in the gaps between them.

More
15 Jan 2024 12:02 #253520 by GandHisJimny
At the weekend I removed the rear plastic panels and took a proper look. Went under the car too. My conclusion is basically unchanged from above.

Improper seam sealing can allow water into the car that then flows backwards as the vehicle is in motion, collecting in the rear corners and also in the rear jack tray. Depending on how well your vehicle was sealed this may be more or less of a problem, on mine it appears to have been an issue but I've now wire brushed the rust and sealed over the factor seams with Puraflex 40.

Then there's the seatbelt anchor points in the back which rust out along where the boot crossmember is welded. The water likely sits in the spot welds. This could be prevented by using a good creeping underseal like Lanoguard or Dinitrol if the vehicle is new / not already rusted.

Further, the idea that the jack tray gets heated up by the exhaust back box seems very plausible to me. I drove 40 minutes on a cold day and you can feel just how warm the panel gets. Not burny hot but enough to attract condensation I am sure.

The only thing left to do is drive through a bunch of puddles and see if waters gets in again... Even if it does at this point I will just accept it and move on. The amount of rain I went through to cause the aquarium in the back was crazy and we only drove in that weather to get home because we needed to be back for work!

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds