BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SZ5 value versus LCV

More
03 Dec 2023 22:28 #252596 by mikemike39
We have a 2019 which my wife uses for local runs and a very old M Class which she uses for long distance motorway type runs.

She is wondering about a single vehicle to replace both - as the M Class is old and expensive to tax etc

From glancing at Autotrader it seems the newer LCV prices are lower than older SZ5 ones?

I don't think it's just the VAT effect

Anyone have a feel for 2019 SZ5 15,000 miles in good shape - rough market value?

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2023 06:04 #252597 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic SZ5 value versus LCV
SZ5 prices have done better because there is a simply less of them than lcvs and the better spec means they are more desirable. However with a collapsing car market in general I don’t think even the SZ5 can hold on too much longer.

More
04 Dec 2023 07:25 #252599 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
You mention you are looking for something with lower road tax.

Be aware that the LCV has higher tax and insurance than the SZ5.

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Dec 2023 09:58 #252601 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
That's interesting - what's the approximate difference in tax and insurance group?  It spunds as if this is the real gotcha in LCV ownership.

More
04 Dec 2023 12:11 - 04 Dec 2023 12:11 #252606 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
I think it’s around £130 more in tax and for me around £250 more for insurance than my SZ5 all because the removal of the rear seats makes it a van :(
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 12:11 by jlines.

More
04 Dec 2023 13:22 #252607 by ZT260
Replied by ZT260 on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
Do you mind me asking who you are insured with? Is the price anything to do with all your modifications? My Gen4 and LCV as standard were both about the same and well under £300 for each in total.

I think it’s around £130 more in tax and for me around £250 more for insurance than my SZ5 all because the removal of the rear seats makes it a van :(

More
04 Dec 2023 14:15 #252608 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
It is because the LCV needs to go onto commercial insurance, we searched extensively  and that was the best available. Underneath the broker it is LV insurance if I remember correctly.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Dec 2023 15:12 #252610 by jlines
My SZ5 is with Adrian flux and LCV is grove & Dean which is basically LV. My SZ5 jumped up from under £400 to under £500 this year which I managed to haggle down although still wasn’t happy about and comparison sites showed even worse so I went with it. For the LCV I struggled to get it insured for anywhere near my SZ5 price for a few reasons so I’m told. One being it’s a Van and two because it was brand new of all things and three being the mods which are the same as my SZ5 and I didn’t have trouble with that. Also as it was brand new it mean’t I only had a day between the car getting registered and me picking it up so insurance companies can see I was desperate and can take advantage. Next year I will start looking over a month before renewal.

More
04 Dec 2023 15:27 #252612 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
I have found that if you get a renewal price a month before it is due and then check again, it goes up each week. My Jimny insurance this year was cheapest as a renewal of last year, the comparison sites couldn't better it and it went up by 25%.

To get back to the original post, I think I would think long and hard about selling your SZ5, it's low mileage and has two seats in the back as well as lots of extras that you don't get on the LCV. If you do trade it in, you will probably have to add more money to buy the LCV, then it will cost you more to run in tax and insurance for less equipment.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Dec 2023 16:46 - 04 Dec 2023 17:47 #252614 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
It's none of my business and simply wanting a new Jimny is good enough, but I have to ask as you already have a 2019 Jimny -
What are you expecting a slightly newer one to do any different?
Swapping vehicles is just going to cost you more money than the few quid difference in tax / insurance, and after it all you still have a Jimny

Edit - - - - Sorry just realised you want to get ride of the Jimny, not swap to an LCV. Got carried along with all the "Jimnyness" of the relies. 

Auto trader app is a good way of judging prices as each vehicle listed is given an indication of  the advertised price, ie  above or below the current average. 

Jimny prices are very volatile at the moment, so much so trade-in is probably not the way to go as some traders are jittery about past overinflated prices. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 17:47 by Scimike.

More
04 Dec 2023 17:35 #252618 by jlines
The op never said about buying an LCV unless I’m missing something? He was just asking why there’s a price difference between that and the SZ5. From his post I gathered he’s looking to sell the Jimny and another car to buy just one car. 

More
04 Dec 2023 18:11 - 04 Dec 2023 18:14 #252619 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:SZ5 value versus LCV
Yes - as I said, my bad. 
I got confused with all the talk about insurance and road tax on the LCV, so added the  ediit in an attempt to help with the original question.
Thanks for pointing it out. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Dec 2023 18:14 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds