× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Slow coolant leak from hoses

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2023 10:16 #252216 by rogerzilla
Slow coolant leak from hoses was created by rogerzilla
I used Halfords hose clips when I replaced the top and bottom hoses.  These have been problematic - I have had several small leaks (I'm currently checking the expansion bottle weekly).  Supposedly the rubber expands a lot when hot and can stretch a metal clip beyond its elastic limit, meaning it no longer grips tightly enough to form a good seal.  The leaks occur when the engine is cold and the hose has contracted. 

There is a limit to.how much I want to tighten a clip on a 12 year-old radiator stub!  It will stay watertight for a month and then start leaking again - currently from the bottom hose to radiator connection.

Any tips?  Are genuine Jubilee clips any more springy?  The original clips were too far gone, and hard to fit in situ anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2023 10:29 #252217 by Scimike
You haven't said if the hoses are old or new.
I had a similar issue with the top hose, couldn't get it to seal. Eventually I order a new top hose and it was obvious the original had expanded over time, it was the elasticity of the hose causing the issue.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2023 10:42 - 19 Nov 2023 10:43 #252218 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Slow coolant leak from hoses
New genuine Suzuki hoses.  They are fully pushed onto the stubs and the clips are correctly behind the lip of the stub.  They seal for a while then leak again.

Nee OEM spring clips might be better but would involve another full drain, and they are horrible to use on the bottom hose!
Last edit: 19 Nov 2023 10:43 by rogerzilla.

More
19 Nov 2023 12:39 - 19 Nov 2023 12:43 #252220 by Scimike
Ok that's good.
Jubilee clips are ok providing you get the correct size, the issue with them is the screw assembly radius. Irrespective of what size they say the are for, unless the curve on the inside of the screw assembly matches that of the pipe to be clamped perfectly, they can distort the pipe in this area. This results in uneven clamping pressure and leaks.
The Suzuki OEM spring clamps don't do this, they even compensate for expansion / movement in the pipe, providing even clamp pressure all around.
They are much better, swap to these. But even these may struggle if replacing jubilee clips that have been tightened too much in an attempt to stop leaks, they crush the hose removing all chance of a seal in that area.
Just my opinion 
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2023 12:43 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2023 21:12 - 21 Nov 2023 21:12 #252283 by rogerzilla
I've ordered two new hoses (again), the factory style clamps and another 5 litres of coolant.  This has been totally successful because the car has already decided to stop leaking of its own accord.  The level hasn't dropped at all since I last topped it up to the line.  It knows.

Seriously, I think very cold weather will allow it to seep again as the stretched jubilee clips don't contract with the hose.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2023 21:12 by rogerzilla.

More
21 Nov 2023 21:49 #252284 by Scimike
They do indeed know
Well, if it's fixed who cares. Of course "never touch a runner" is probably applicable a this point, so bung the bits on the shelf.

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2023 16:13 #252380 by rogerzilla
Problem identified!  It's not the hoses, it's the water pump!  The fan is flinging coolant about and there is a lot of blue residue behind the pump.  It's confusing because some drips onto the bottom hose but there is coolant to the side where it can't possibly have come from the hose. 

The garage can do this one.  At least they can use the coolant, hoses snd clips I bought when they refit the radiator.

Out of interest, what's the typical life of a Jimny water pump?  This is about 51,000 miles and 12 years but I doubt it had a coolant change until we got it three months ago.

More
26 Nov 2023 18:11 #252403 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Slow coolant leak from hoses
Jimny water pumps usually last well over 100,000 miles. I checked mine at 120,000 miles and it was like new.

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2023 21:53 #252405 by rogerzilla
It only seems to have had blue coolant as per original, lthough I suppose a numpty garage could have stuck a different blue one in there.  Silicates will generally wreck the water pump seal in Japanese engines.  My guess is that it ran with the factory coolant for 11 years.

If it's not the pump, it's one of the other little hoses in the area - but my guess is that tightening the new belts has been the final straw for a tired bearing and has allowed coolant to seep along the shaft.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds