× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Leak from steering box Suzuki Jimny JB74

More
09 Nov 2023 17:58 #252042 by TA98
Hi all.  Is this normal ? Has anyone experienced a leak coming from the steering box ?  Images attached.  Please take note the contrast in colour on the box itself between where’s its dry and moist with the oil. Thank you in advance 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2023 20:15 #252043 by fordem
Why would it leak "upwards"? I suspect what you're seeing is not oil from a leak, but rather oil from a spill.

More
09 Nov 2023 22:09 #252044 by Roger Fairclough
I can't see where a spill would come from. The box is well away from the engine filler cap. Maybe an oil leak from the shaft oil seal drawn upwards and backwards by air current when Jimny is driven.

Roger

More
10 Nov 2023 02:37 #252046 by fordem
That would be upwards, against gravity, and forwards, against the air flow, sounds unlikely to me, as to where might it have been spilt from - how about whilst filling the box itself...

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Nov 2023 04:26 #252047 by Lambert
That looks like capillary action through the dust and dirt on the box surface. I would suggest cleaning it off thoroughly and then observe over a few days to see if any part becomes obviously wet again.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Nov 2023 10:04 #252448 by TA98
To my knowledge, the box has never been filled - only adjusted every so slightly to reduce a bit of play in the steering wheel. I understand your point, however a spill seems unlikely in my mind. Where can I find the above diagram.

More
29 Nov 2023 10:15 #252450 by TA98
Here are a few clearer images 
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2023 14:43 #252472 by fordem
I can't help but wonder what the mileage on that JB74 is that the steering box would need "adjusting to reduce play", sounds a little odd to me.

Moving on, I don't see any point in further speculation - spray it with degreaser, rinse it clean, and then take another look in a week/month, you'll be able to tell if it is in fact leaking.

More
29 Nov 2023 14:54 #252474 by TA98
Thank you for your help !

More
29 Nov 2023 14:56 #252475 by TA98
I fully agree with you. i'll do that

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds