BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

back door getting stiff to open and close

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
08 Jun 2023 22:12 #249469 by DrRobin
So I have noticed over the last few weeks the back door on my Gen is starting to get stiff to open and close.  It felt like hinges, so I gave them a spray with some lubricant and it seemed to get a little better, but now it’s worse than ever.

i am now thinking that it is the the damper strut, is this how they go, massive amounts of damping/stiffness?

i might try disconnecting the damper and see if the rear door moves correctly.  Or, do the hinges start to cease up?

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2023 00:27 #249470 by fordem
In my experience the struts gradually lose their ability to hold the door so it gets easier to move not stiffer.

More
09 Jun 2023 07:15 #249474 by Abudougal
MInes the same and again heaps of wd40 didn't help.

More
09 Jun 2023 10:05 #249479 by facade
It's the hinges.
You need to get oil into them, not WD40.
GT85 will help as it has a teenie amount of teflon in it.
You could keep applying a small amount of diesel, it penetrates and lubricates.
I used to keep squirting a little oil into that notch in the hinge and then open & close the door about a thousand times- you don't have to let it latch.

The bonnet hinges seize too, you need to get the deck under the wipers up to lubricate them, I took mine off one at a time to do a good job. (And lubricated the wiper mechanism whilst the deck was off.)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
09 Jun 2023 20:18 #249486 by driver9
Agree with others that a failing gas strut tends to go weak not stiff.  Tygris R223  white lithium grease with PTFE lubricant spray is good for door hinges because its waterproof.  I've used it on the Defender hinges for a number of years with good results.

More
09 Jun 2023 21:07 #249487 by Abudougal
Thanks guys, I think I have some lithium spray somewhere, I'll get to work with it.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
10 Jun 2023 09:07 #249489 by DrRobin
I agree with what you say about the struts but I did have a good go with Lithium grease before and it didn’t make much difference.

I also checked the hinges to see if one has dropped, but there is no play.

I am going for a extended session this morning, the strut will be easy to remove as a test.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
10 Jun 2023 10:26 #249490 by DrRobin
So I sprayed round the hinge with Lithium, then disconnected the strut and worked the door backwards and forwards, no change, so kept applying lithium to the hinge joint, still no difference.

Next I applied a small bit of lithium to the top of the hinge and hey presto just opened the door once and it went very smooth.

Looks like the very top is the place to apply lithium.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MysterG

More
10 Jun 2023 17:15 #249493 by driver9
Glad you managed to free up the hinge.  I also use lithium grease spray on the front door hinges,  bonnet hinges and bonnet release mechanism every couple of months.

More
14 Jun 2023 09:07 #249518 by MysterG
My rear door has been suffering the same symptoms. I will give this a go.

More
21 Jun 2023 15:50 #249578 by Roger Fairclough
On the Gen.4 the rear hinges have a drilled hole at the half way point. I modified a grease nipple to put a point on it and brazed it into a grease gun extension tube. It doesn't take a lot of pressure and it will pump the grease of your choice to all the points necessary. I have enclosed a couple of pics. to show the details.
Roger 

Attachments:

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
21 Jun 2023 19:25 #249585 by DrRobin
Thanks Roger. My Gen3 doesn’t appear to have a notch and no matter how much spraying I did in the middle of the hinge made the slightest difference. However a quick spray on the top fixed it.

I originally thought it would be stuck at the mid point, but now I think about it, it is the top which is open to the rain.

I might find some rubber covers for the top of the hinge.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds