BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cold weather preparedness.

More
14 Dec 2022 06:58 - 14 Dec 2022 12:20 #246348 by yakuza
Been minus 15 now for a week. I was not prepared. so as i mentioned in the other thread, I got no 4x4 :)
Well my house was prepared, been insulating and getting firewood and smartifying everything to save on the ridiculous electricity prices of 0.5 to 10 €. yes, i know not much compared to our wages and the european prices but we are used to it being for free. 

But the Jimny was not prepared.  So i thought I'd just make a winter preparedness list :)

- Winter tires -depending on your roads winter maintanance level. For me full nordic winter tires, (three peak mountain snowflake marking)
 - Silicon treatment for the door gaskets to avoid them freezing shut.
 - Lube the door locks and hinges with a cold weather lube. (No spray, no alcohol drying the lock out!)
 - Well cleaned and lubed free wheel hubs with a cold weather lube. (manual or auto still important)
-  Heater if possible, electric block heater or better yet diesel or gas system that heats the engine.
-  High service level, good fresh engine oil, check coolant level and condition, filters, spark plugs, full gas tank.
-  Snatch strap the dynamic sort, shovel, shackle, recoverygear, spare fuel.
-  Extra warm and rain proof clothes, hat, gloves, blanket if car or traffic breaks down, some food and water. (saved me more than once)
 - Ice scraper for windows and a brush to remove snow (with a long handle).
 - Charged up phone and spare battery and charger. 
Added below and adjusted above from comments:
- Well serviced car battery of good quality with clean terminals. AGM preferred, not lithium unless heated. 
 - Jump leads or Jump starter. beware 
- Check and maintain correct tyre pressure for max traction. On board air.
- LED warning light

Some points are basic and some more important if you cross a mountain pass or go longer distances. 
I might edit and add more later, and your tips and additions are more than welcome!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2022 12:20 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2022 09:05 - 14 Dec 2022 09:06 #246349 by Motacilla
Good thread, Yak. I agree that winter in the north demands some good prep.

Silicone for the door seals is one that doesn't get mentioned enough. Good on you putting it at the top of the list. I use aerosol and a piece of cardboard to protect from overspray -- takes two minutes at most.  Simple and effective.

For cold weather lube I like Wurth 5000 spray -- uses PTFE so it doesn't attract dust and it is good across a wide range of temps. I use it on the bonnet latch and cable as well.

To your list I would add:

-- jump leads (fit nicely under the passenger seat)
-- LED trouble light, gets dark early in the winter up here
-- spare set of gloves that you could wear while changing a tyre
-- rain poncho from the pound shop, helps in heavy snowfall and can also be used as a work area tarp to keep your knees dry in the snow
-- battery terminal protector, either a spray or gel to keep corrosion off the terminals, which are rather exposed in the Jimny

If you are really uptight, like me, you might also carry a cheap folding snow shovel and a fire extinguisher.  Be sure to strap them both down carefully, especially the latter.  Seatbelts/airbags don't do you much good if you get beaned by a fire extinguisher in an accident.

This winter has already been especially snowy here.  I'm running Yoko BluEarth tires but also thinking about investing in some cheap chains.  Probably just for the rear axle only, though I have read that some Jimny fans chain both front and back.  I have to say that I've never needed chains, but then again, you don't need them until you need them.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2022 09:06 by Motacilla.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Dec 2022 09:36 #246350 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cold weather preparedness.
I would add a lithium jump pack, that way you don't need another vehicle. It can also give you a USB charging option for a phone if needed. Particularly relevant if you have am automatic and can't bump start.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Dec 2022 09:38 #246351 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cold weather preparedness.
Oh and some means of inflating a tyre if you need to let them down for extra traction.

More
14 Dec 2022 10:34 #246352 by Old Neil
All this is very interesting, i live in a different climate so never thought of important prep work as this
By what way do you keep the engine block warm

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

More
14 Dec 2022 12:02 - 14 Dec 2022 12:36 #246354 by yakuza
The Jimny starts fine in cold weather when the engine is well serviced and the coolant has the correct spec. Mine is OK down to -40 (I think)
And the battery is NOT the cheap kind from Asia that dies on the first cold nights. AGM preferably, mine is 70Ah.
My car have an after market Defa block heater 230V and also a 700W cabin heater. But rarely used. "free" power at work so here it is connected to a timer switching it on an hour before i leave or so. A bit to save gas from cold start and mostly comfort :)
My other car has a Webasto 5kW diesel heater. I will not ever buy another diesel car most likely, but a diesel engine without the heater, no way!
Three diesel cars i know of dead just this week from the cold. Owners will try again to start them over the weekend when it gets warmer, or call for towing.

Problem with some lithium jump starters is that you cannot keep them charging in the car if they are regular spec as lithium do not like charging below freezing. some has a built in heater pack though.

Beware that airing up or down in freezing conditions will likely make your valves ice up and seeze open. or shut.
I have an impression that tyres loose pressure more often during winter. Or is it the winter tyres?
Or do i check for the correct pressure more often as the whole tyre surface is needed for grip?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2022 12:36 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Dec 2022 13:14 #246356 by Lambert
This is the thing though isn't it being nowhere near as far north as you I don't tend to have the serious temperature drops you do. Mostly I might have a handful of weeks a year that are significantly below zero or indeed any meaningful depth of snow. It's just that working out side I have it to deal with however foul it is.

More
14 Dec 2022 14:12 #246357 by DrRobin
I carry much of that list all year round, it just lives in the car.

You can always take your lithium jump starter inside at night, together with your can of de-icer, that way they are both warm and ready for action.

Another addition is a hand spray bottle of warm water or even screen wash, then when the washer jets freeze up you can wind the window down and reach round to help keep the screen clean.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Dec 2022 16:13 #246358 by Roger Fairclough
I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 and that can be left on overnight, or even permanently. As well as maintaining charge, you get the benefit of a warm battery, so no drop in power due to a cold battery.

Roger

More
14 Dec 2022 17:52 - 14 Dec 2022 18:00 #246361 by yakuza
I got a Ctek too, not sure what the size or model was, but was planning to add it to the 230V setup for the heater connections. Have not had the need though after installing 70Ah AGM..but i do have a Ctek connnection installed for easy hookup.

Haven't seen the practical use for the spray to de-ice yet. Some of those products might work any brands that you got good experience with? Most stop working around minus ten i think. but then i do keep the car inside at home and plugged in at work.
Also beware the store bought washer fluids, cheap ones work at minus 10 but 15 and lower some freeze up on the windscreen.

ahh and another tip for driving in drifts and windy snow, keep your screen cold to avoid ice build up on the windscreen and wipers. Adjust the heater to feet or face. seldom a problem on the suzuki though as the windscreen heater is not so powerful :)
Or in temperature around zero, wiggle the wiper switch so the wipers stop 5cm or so up on the windscreen where the heater can melt the ice. Will not work at ten and below though.

LED lights here should be of the heated sorts or they clog up and freeze on the front. or like me better just keep the old halogen that melts on coming snow.

over the weekend now C 4+ and all will be forgotten until the next cold period....

Last edit: 14 Dec 2022 18:00 by yakuza.

More
14 Dec 2022 20:57 #246365 by Darthblaker7474
I see you've not got on your list some food and drink? maybe cereal bars or something.

What about a camping stove or something for hot drinks? Never know how long you're going to be stuck 

More
14 Dec 2022 22:44 #246370 by Roger Fairclough
I made a washer fluid heater that is spliced into the heater hose. Works well.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds