BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Garage near Aylesbury (Buckinghamshire) for front axle seals/bearings

More
10 Aug 2022 18:20 #244492 by CJ Davies
They seem to mainly work on Lamborghinis & TVRs - there was even a Huracan on a lift when I went in!

Good to hear about the ball though, that's one less expense/worry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2022 08:21 #244734 by CJ Davies
Well that looks a bit better! Turns out it was the lower kingpin bearing in the end.

Attachments:

More
31 Aug 2022 07:30 #244803 by Jezza
I have exactly the same problem, heard a slight rattle from the front end, looked underneath and grease all over the swivel joint, even got splattering on inside tyre wall. Same on both sides. Can someone confirm that I need to order "kingpin bearings and swivel seal" £48 a side from bigjimny store. Thanks

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2022 08:34 #244804 by Lambert
That's correct.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Aug 2022 10:14 #244807 by Jezza

More
30 Sep 2022 05:50 #245222 by Jezza
got my bearings and seals from bigjimny shop and my local garage changed them both. They too were concerned about the balls being pitted and potentially ripping the seals. Martin says this is all quite normal, so should i be concerned ?

More
30 Sep 2022 07:14 #245225 by Scimike
It is quite normal, so no need to be concerned. The seals don't hold oil in, they keep the dirt out.

Your garage is correct though, fitting seals to a pitted surface will simply reduce the seal life and impact it's function. This eventually will cause the Kingpin bearings to fail prematurely due to dirt/water ingress, any play is an MOT failure. This play can also cause the axle oil seal to leak, this then shows as an "oil leak" from the swivel and oil on the tyre / wheel that people see.

You can't change the swivel "ball", so that's why most live with early life failure of the kingpin bearings and just accept they may need changing even few years. The only other option is to refurbish the swivel surface with a paint coating. Costs money and time, so most don't bother.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Sep 2022 11:49 #245236 by Jezza
Many thanks for your reply. I can live with that, you've put my mind at rest so thanks again

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds