BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny 1999 just wont rev up

More
08 May 2022 06:43 #243255 by Kirk6866
I have a 1998 Jimny with a G13bb engine i think not sure?

My issue is that it started to take a long time for the revs to build even with the throttle down to the floor then slow to build revs from idle and there is not enough power to pull away.

Now its starts and runs like a pig on idle and the min you touch the throttal it cuts out?

I've have checked,
new fuel
fuel tank
fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel lines
air filter
plugs, leads and coils
exhaust for blockage
vacum hoses for leaks
throttle position sensor

any help would be great

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2022 07:23 #243256 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny 1999 just wont rev up
Any history behind this issue?
Has it suddenly started and was fine before or has it had past problems and this is the latest?
The fact you changed the tank suggests it's been standing or the fuel storage has been comprised in some way, this makes me think the fuel system is the issue, possibly blocked injectors.

It's just a guess at this stage on my part, if you can add any more details let us know.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 May 2022 07:39 #243257 by Kirk6866
I bought the vehicle as an unfinished pick up conversion – I am just completing that body ect
It has a 2 inch body lift and a 3 inch suspension lift and new wheels all from jimny bits and a new cat exhaust
Its been standing since 2014 with the old petrol I fitted a new battery and it fired up and run but slow to pick up because the rear of car has gone getting the tank to look at the pump and filter was easy – I drain all old fuel and replaced the pump works and its getting fuel at the rail
We have then gone through the basics as I mentioned – when it did run the engine was running fine after it picked up off the throttle – but now as mentioned will only idle low and run like a pig
Thanks in advance for any help

More
08 May 2022 09:08 #243260 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Jimny 1999 just wont rev up
The usual culprit for refusing to rev is a blocked catalyst or exhaust- the manifold catalyst breaks up and the chunks block the one under the floor.

Given the fuel system has been messed with, I'd be checking the fuel pressure, a worn out pump still runs but produces no pressure, or you might have debris in the regulator keeping it open.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
08 May 2022 09:16 #243261 by Scimike
Highly likely something in fuel system is the cause, blocked Cats can cause rev issues, but most with this don't report a rough Idle, it just won't rev.
So check the pump pressure^^^^, fuel lines are clean and then each injector is actually injecting something. As I found myself recently, old petrol buggers things up unless you are very lucky.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 May 2022 09:20 #243262 by Kirk6866
the catalyst and exhaust are new and it seems to be good fuel presure at the injector rail?
although i will get that tested.
the fuel pump is fine we have tested that?
we will have a look at the injectors today to see if they are blocked
could it be sensor or somthing like that?

thanks for your help

More
09 May 2022 06:51 #243272 by Kirk6866
I have changed the injectors and the throttle body still no luck

More
09 May 2022 07:24 #243274 by Scimike
Ok, at least you can exclude them.
Not much left and yes its possible a sensor, typically the cam sensor, but others are possible MFA etcl.
Looking at your list sensors appear to be the only items not changed.

OK some other simple suggestions:
Compression test and they are all the same?
Intake tubing / system not blocked.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 May 2022 11:59 #243277 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny 1999 just wont rev up
One thought, is the cam belt timed correctly? Easy enough to take the front cover off the motor and check the timing marks line up correctly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 May 2022 12:45 #243281 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Jimny 1999 just wont rev up
What do the plugs look like?

When you drained the tank did you flush the fuel system through? There might be water sitting somewhere which is causing fuel flow.

Always assuming it doesn't have a misfire or timing, another cause of an engine not revving is heavily choked. Have you got an OBD reader or any other way of looking at the fuel trim?

When you take a plug out does it smell of pertrol or does the exhaust smell of unburnt fuel?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
11 May 2022 07:11 #243294 by Kirk6866
bottom pully has been loose snapped bolt in front of crank worn keyway timming way out

changing engine

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 May 2022 11:53 #243296 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny 1999 just wont rev up
That would do it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds