BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Brakes

More
24 Mar 2022 12:29 - 24 Mar 2022 12:29 #242473 by GrahamJimny
Brakes was created by GrahamJimny
The brakes on my Jimny 2004  have not been right since I got it. feel soft, or sometimes not there.
The handbrake never worked either.

I’ve bled the front right but couldn’t get the left bleed nut off front wheel.

My friend is round now and he said we should take the back wheels off, as he thinks its all somehow connected.

Is this right, will the adjustments in there - correct the handbrake as well?

Cheers
Last edit: 24 Mar 2022 12:29 by GrahamJimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2022 14:07 #242476 by GrahamJimny
Replied by GrahamJimny on topic Brakes
looks like there is a worn bush now behind the back left wheel.

Is that expensive to change?

More
24 Mar 2022 14:43 #242477 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Brakes
I assume that the "worn bush" is the wheel bearing? If so then there are a couple of strings concerning rear wheel bearings that will help you. They are within the last few days.

Roger

More
24 Mar 2022 14:54 #242478 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Brakes
To check which brake is causing the softness, you need to isolate each brake hose, front and back and then push down on the brake pedal,. It should feel solid after no more than 10-15mm to take up mechanical slop. At this point I have changed direction and would suggest you do a full brake fluid change and then come back to us. Yes, you will have to slacken off all the bleed nipples, there is no other way to do it.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2022 17:47 #242484 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Brakes
Worn suspension bushes can go one of 2 ways either you have a hydraulic press and they come out easy enough or you don't have a hydraulic press and have to fight them out with sockets and all thread, hacksaws and fire. Often it is cheaper just to get the arm off and ask a local garage to change the bush. Which ever way it's not a particularly novice friendly job.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Mar 2022 11:11 - 25 Mar 2022 11:22 #242495 by GrahamJimny
Cheers Lambert, yes I saw on YouTube a guy pulling them off. Looks like a real headache. I purchase the parts anyway, so may do the brakes myself and see what bolts are like around the suspension arm, and may take to garage to press out.

But I've got an MOT coming up so Im  very anxious myself. Theres a lot of cosmetic damage to the exterior shell, like cracks in bumper and sharp edges around wheel arches. Im hoping they will let that stuff go.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2022 11:22 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
25 Mar 2022 11:12 #242496 by GrahamJimny
The brake shoes were completely gone! so Im guessing the guy who sold it to me saw this.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Mar 2022 11:33 #242497 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Brakes
No rear shoes would definitely affect brake performance fortunately they are an easy enough replacement. I'd look at repairs to any sharp edges on the body as they are usually a failure or at least an advisory. It's surprising how bad some bolts look for rust that still come undone.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds