BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Extended Warranty?

More
31 Dec 2021 18:30 #240874 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Extended Warranty?
Obviously the choice is yours, but just because it's cheaper than someone else does not make it value for money.

Also, I have not heard of a warranty of this type that is transferable.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2022 09:31 #240887 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Extended Warranty?
I'll probably take it. Due to Covid, and me not being well last year, mine is barely run in, so it hasn't done enough miles/hours to weed out anything defective.

I'd hate it to go expensively bang when I start piling on the miles and have Suzuki say "tough,the warranty is time expired".

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Jan 2022 15:40 - 03 Jan 2022 15:42 #240891 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Extended Warranty?
That's the thing though. The chances of it "going expensively bang" are pretty much zero.

Search the internet and see if you can find a Gen4 Jimny that's had a serious mechanical issue or failure.

l looked and found none. And some of the post 2018 Gen4 Jimnys are on well over 30,000 miles now. And you can bet that being on PCP's they've not been treated as well as you are doing with yours.
l doubt many have been run in, for instance.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 15:42 by lightning.

More
03 Jan 2022 15:52 - 03 Jan 2022 15:55 #240892 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Extended Warranty?
"Not used much" does mean you are still in potential early life failure, but it's likely this will happen in the first year of ownership.  After that you are in the reliable phase of a product, until age starts to push the failure rate up again.

So I do understand facade and the want to extend the warranty.

However - as I said earlier, these tend not to be an extension of the manufacturers warranty, the "fix everything one" you have enjoyed from new.
They imply it is by the title "extended warranty" just as the manufacturers expires, but many are third party insurance based offers and are packed full of exclusions.
So once again please read the small print before you decide it's correct for you.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 15:55 by Scimike.

More
03 Jan 2022 16:06 #240893 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Extended Warranty?
Biggest killer for an engine is not getting it up to operating temperature. Short journeys promote excess wear which is one reason why Suzuki et al make engines with small but efficient cooling systems to promote fast warm ups. This helps to reduce wear. So the term "not used much" is ok as long as each usage is sufficient to get the engine up to temperature.
With Vivs Audi the service intervals can be set to allow for short journeys, short service intervals or longer journeys longer service intervals.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds