BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4- constant squeak

More
29 Oct 2021 09:24 #239712 by JodieMarie22
Drove around yesterday and noticed a squeak when hitting any bump (therefore a constant squeak) or accelerating away. Doesn't come from any particular direction so thinking something to do with the chassis or axles.
Have rang Suzuki and booked it in for a look as it's under warranty. They tried to fob me off as being brake pads wearing thin... Funny as it doesn't squeak when breaking and has only done 10k miles. 
But of course I am a silly woman who knows nothing about cars 

Any thoughts or other ideas on the issue? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2021 10:25 - 29 Oct 2021 10:27 #239714 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4- constant squeak
I am with you on the brake pads being nonsense, but easy enough to test. Lightly brake when travelling over squeak inducing terrain, if the squeak remains then it's unlikely to be the pads or braking system.
Squeaks and rattles are difficult to locate as the driver, I always find the use of a good friend to locate essential. Get them to  move around in the vehicle and try to pinpoint the source, of course stay within the law or find some private land.
You could also try rocking the vehicle stationary to see if the squeak occurs, but its not the same as moving, so sometimes does not help unless you get lucky.
I reckon that's all Suzuki will do or spray lubricant over the Spring and bush surfaces to see if it will go away. Let them take a look, but keep a hold onto your money if they try to charge you for "consumables" unless they can demonstrate why.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2021 10:27 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JodieMarie22

More
29 Oct 2021 10:42 #239716 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Gen4- constant squeak
My Gen3 has had a variety of squeaks and rattles, all of them difficult to locate, but here are a few I found:

- The dashboard was rattling. It has three screws at the front (near to the windscreen) which come loose (on all Jimnys apparently). Just put your hand on the dashboard whilst driving and see if it goes.

- The suspension coil springs are known to rattle. My nearside spring started to do this. Apparently there is a plastic/rubber end for the spring, but I fixed mine with a bit of high tech lithium grease.

- The back door was rattling, it needed the door lock catch adjusting.

- The drivers door window rattles a little when fully up, but drop it by a couple of mm and it is fine and still provides a good seal to wind and rain.

- Now the real wierd one, I had a squak that appeard to come from underneath, possibly the passenger side. It first started just now and again then got worse. I thought it might be a suspension bush, then the exhaust but my misses located it eventually, it was the drivers seat.

There was a little pile of foam under the seat on the rails, apparently they all do this and the foam was making the seat and adjuster spring squeak when you went over a bump. A small spray of lithium grease fixed it.

So perhaps take someone out with you and get them to try to locate the sound?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2021 10:46 #239717 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Gen4- constant squeak
I've had a chirpy squeak on uneven surfaces on the two gen 3 Jimny's that I've owned. Only happens after driving for over an hour. The chirping sounds very bird-like and comes from around the front axle. I always assumed it was the antiroll bar mounting rubbers creaking once they got hot.

Haven't noticed it on the Gen 4 yet.

More
29 Oct 2021 11:42 #239723 by JodieMarie22
Replied by JodieMarie22 on topic Gen4- constant squeak
Thanks for the help/advice.
My gen 3 had the same squeak so I know it's just part of the charm of owning one. I just thought it would take a bit longer for this one to start. 

It is definitely coming from underneath so I will do a few more tests to see when it starts and where it comes from. 
It is booked in for Wednesday and I will make sure I leave the wallet at home! 

More
29 Oct 2021 12:50 #239724 by Roger Fairclough
Hi Jodie.

Does rain or road spray influence the squeak/

Roger

More
29 Oct 2021 16:17 #239726 by JodieMarie22
At a guess I would say probably not. It has been rainy since I've noticed it but it doesn't sound like running water.
Occasionally after it rains I can hear running water in the front of the jimny for a few miles but this is definitely a rattle/ squeak underneath (very similar to what I had in my 05 mode)

I went out today with someone but there were useless, did agree there was a noise though. But not sure if that noise was the squeak, general jimny noise or me moaning about the noise! 

More
29 Oct 2021 16:20 #239727 by JodieMarie22
Chirpy is the perfect description of the noise!

More
29 Oct 2021 17:40 #239728 by Roger Fairclough
To me chirpy is a squeak and a squeak is interaction between rubber ( probably ) and metal. Anti roll bar comes to mind. First step is to inject WD40 between rubber and metal and see if that helps.

Roger

More
29 Oct 2021 19:15 #239731 by JodieMarie22
Yes, anti-roll bar was my first guess as this was the issue on my previous jimny.
I got the family mechanic (dad) to have a look and he has used the magic of WD-40. Will go out tomorrow and see if it's helped. 
Thanks again for everyone's responses. 

More
29 Oct 2021 20:17 #239732 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Gen4- constant squeak
Martin did a bit on the squeak on the spring ,,

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds