BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine cut out

More
10 Oct 2021 18:19 #239282 by GrahamJimny
Engine cut out was created by GrahamJimny
Hi, I topped up oil as it was on low point of dip.

This may be unrelated, but after drive back home 20 mins on motorway, I noticed a smell of petrol.

Pulling in, engine conked out, and a bit of smoke appeared side of bonnet.

I turned off engine, and noticed temp still was ok.

I drained the sump plug for a bit thinking this had been the problem, as the oil poured out I noticed it smelled of fuel!

I left it cool for an hour,

she started back up fine.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2021 21:17 #239284 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Engine cut out
Hi,
The oil level is probably unrelated, but I am assuming it's now happy and within the dipstick limits? The smell of petrol in the oil could be many things, but it's best to start simple.
It would help us if we had a general idea of the engine condition,  is it serviced, clean fresh oil before the problem, how many miles etc.
Re the cut out -
Did you experience any running issues prior to it stopping, also assume you could not start it for the 20 minutes you let it cool down?

The top of the list on a Jimny is crank sensor shutting down with heat, but a little more info on how it was running would help.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
11 Oct 2021 08:36 #239292 by GrahamJimny
Replied by GrahamJimny on topic Engine cut out
I pretty much just bought the car and drove it 50 miles home. And seemed fine.

He said he did the brakes an serviced it but I take that with a pinch of salt. Maybe he changed engine oil, it looked clean.
Inside engine bay there was quite a bit of mud splash.
so yesterday I gave the front of radiator a hose down.

My friend opened the air filter and said theres your problem, but Im not convinced Ive seen a lot worse.

There is signs of gasket seal around the 'crank case' I think its called. My friend again is a motorbike nut, so he said thats alright but worth removing and doing properly.

The engine looks clean, and was running sweet, about 100,000 I think on clock.

Maybe I just give it another test run?

More
11 Oct 2021 09:25 #239296 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Engine cut out
Have a look at the second cat, the manifold cat has a habit of disintegrating and blocking the second cat.....

sniper

More
11 Oct 2021 10:02 #239297 by GrahamJimny
Replied by GrahamJimny on topic Engine cut out
I closed the bonnet of the car and engine cut out!

the positive battery terminal was touching bonnet!

More
11 Oct 2021 15:08 #239312 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Engine cut out
It probably has the wrong sized battery installed (too tall, unless it is fitted in the wrong place), but the positive terminal should also have a cover on it to prevent short circuits.

As you also have a smell of petrol, I would get the battery terminal sorted quickly, it will produce a very large spark when it shorts out and that might ignite whatever petrol there is in the engine bay.

As for the oil smelling of petrol a quick Google search shows lots of potential reasons, including just short journeys.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds