BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Front prop shaft replacement - new or old

More
12 Aug 2021 09:49 #237506 by Smiffy1664
Hello fellow Jimny lovers, any advice in the following matter would be really appreciated. My front prop shaft is knackered (spewing grease and can't be fixed / reconditioned apparently) so I'm now faced with do I get a used one to replace it or spend mega bucks on a new one? Both options seem to be difficult to source for some reason!? What I want to know is (1) is a second hand one too risky to be spending up to £400 all in (part & work) and if not, any one got any idea where to get one? (2) anyone know where to get a new one in the UK that isn't made by Suzuki but is fit for purpose? My Jimny is a 2005, soft top, 1.3, O2 model. The propshaft part is 2710384A00. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2021 21:57 #237521 by j999pre
I sell new HD ones or have standard used ones for sale

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
12 Aug 2021 22:16 #237522 by Smiffy1664
Hi there? How much for either and how do I buy from you?

More
13 Aug 2021 03:30 #237523 by mlines
The UJ's can be replaced. Also a good propshaft company can sort them such as Bailey Morris who have local branches around the country. I have had a couple done by then. You say "spewing" oil, there is hardly any grease in them?

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
13 Aug 2021 07:21 #237524 by Busta
Firstly changing the front prop is a 10 minute job so labour charges should be minimal.
Is it spewing grease from the greasabe end? If so, has it been over greased? That's not a reason for failure. Unless there is play in the joints it's not a reason to replace.
Front props don't tend to wear very much because they are only spinning when you are in 4wd and for most users this is fairly infrequent.
As Martin says, UJs can be replaced. This is a fiddly job but still shouldn't take a mechanic long.
Fitting a used prop should also be fine for the above reasons- it is unlikely to have seen much action.

I'd say the first step is to get a second opinion before throwing £400 at a £100 problem.

More
13 Aug 2021 09:53 #237529 by Smiffy1664
Garage have now found a used prop shaft and are fitting it today! I feel much better about going for the used option after all your good advice. Many Thanks!

More
13 Aug 2021 11:43 #237533 by Busta
Make sure you keep the one they take off! I'm sure it can be easily fixed.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds