BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Replacing the back box

More
11 May 2021 13:39 #234973 by CJ Davies
If I can get the bolts out (I don't own a grinder), is this something I could plausibly replace myself with the car on the ground? I don't want to pay £100+ labour to a garage if it's literally just a case of hooking it through a hanger & putting two new bolts through the flange.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2021 14:49 #234975 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Replacing the back box
IMO 2 options hacksaw or try to tighten them till the bolts snap
On the other hand you could by a grinder for around 20 quid
you'll still be saving money and have one for next job 

More
11 May 2021 15:17 #234976 by CJ Davies
Replied by CJ Davies on topic Replacing the back box
Alas I'm in a third storey flat with no garage, so I can't run power for a cheap grinder! I have 18V DeWalt batteries but they want £110 for a bare grinder to plug them in to.

I'm soaking the nuts in WD40 atm (half expecting them to completely dissolve). It looks like this eBay kit for £60 has everything I could possibly need? I'm assuming if I get the bolts out it's simply a case of hooking the new box onto the hanger at each end, fitting the new gasket between the flanges & then just replacing the two bolts? All while trying not to inhale too many rust flakes, ofc.

More
11 May 2021 18:02 #234984 by Michael83
Replied by Michael83 on topic Replacing the back box
Get a hacksaw and some spare blades, give the bolts a smack with a hammer, mine snapped off when I did my exhaust. If that don't do it hacksaw them off. It will be done before you know it.
Loads of back boxes on eBay for about £50 tops. You need a 42mm Id ring gasket too or it will leak loads of water from the flange.
A clamp on 12" X 5" 42mm Id straight through muffler will bolt straight on too with the flange cut off. Got mine from 'custom exhausts' on eBay.
Have fun mate

More
11 May 2021 18:24 #234986 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Replacing the back box
Nuts aside, I found it easier to replace my rear silencer with the rear bumper removed, it gave better access without the need inhale rust flakes.
Not essential and may give more nut trouble if your bumper nuts will not come apart, but mine did easily enough.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
11 May 2021 21:46 - 11 May 2021 21:47 #234991 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Replacing the back box
Good tip Scimike, Remove the bumper for access, especially if you got a trailer hitch. Much easier access. Depending on brackets, hitch and back box end pipe design, you might need Some lift like a Jack or ramps or one wheel on the side walk to mangle it in/out.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 May 2021 21:47 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds