BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Clutch pedal

More
09 May 2021 12:11 #234931 by Stefan
Clutch pedal was created by Stefan
Hi everyone, quick question. A bit unsure about this.

I'm having trouble pulling away with my Jimny. The clutch pedal has a lot of travel from the firewall before it starts to audibly engage. It often makes me take minutes to get it right and sometimes I release a bit too fast to quickly get rid of the travel, but the engine stalls because I did it too fast.

So my question is, is it me or the Jimny?
Will I have to train myself to get used to the position the pedal starts to engage the clutch or can I adjust the pedal or something?

Also, what is the switch that gets pressed by the clutch pedal arm?

Any input appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2021 12:50 - 09 May 2021 12:52 #234932 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Clutch pedal
Hi,
you can adjust the clutch cable. If you push down on the pedal (by hand) you should feel a point about 10mm down at which the pedal gets harder to press. That is the clutch plate engagement, the first 10mm is free play, but held up by a return spring, so you need to feel for this change.
You adjust it at the bell housing end of the cable. So try adjusting first.
I think the switch is to check you have the clutch press before 4x4 low can be engaged (not 100% sure).

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 09 May 2021 12:52 by Scimike.

More
09 May 2021 14:14 #234933 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Clutch pedal
Hi,

Okay so I checked the freeplay, about 10mm like you said. But then when I press the pedal further with my hand, it is hard to press, until it becomes easier to press again, which is when it is conpletely pressed down against the firewall.

More
09 May 2021 15:57 #234937 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Clutch pedal
The further out from the firewall before the clutch bites is an indication of clutch wear. Ultimately it will move all the way out and nothing will happen, although clutch slip will intervene first.

Roger

More
09 May 2021 16:26 #234939 by Scimike
Your description matches how my clutch feels, as you say it gets easier towards the firewall. Is it consistent? Try it a few times to see if things change. As Roger said it's possible your clutch is past its best, how many miles do you think it's done?
​​​​​​I would say there is no "knack" to a Jimmy clutch, they just work or don't.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 May 2021 21:29 #234942 by Stefan
Oh no. It hasn't slipped yet. Haven't checked thoroughly yet, but it feels like the pedal travels almost halfway or a little less from the firewall before it bites.

More
09 May 2021 21:40 #234943 by Stefan
Yes, ever since I bought it, it was like this, that is why I thought that maybe it has a knack to it, but wanted to hear from you guys that actually know the Jimny well. It has close to 170 000 km on the clock now, with no indication it has ever been changed.I'm the third owner, and judging about how extremely dirty and rusty looking the chassis and under carriage is suggests it has done some offroading a lot too. I did replace the leaking rear diff pinion seal, so is that an indication of wear on other parts?

I'll try it some more tomorrow and see what it does for what it's worth.

More
10 May 2021 16:32 #234949 by Stefan
So as Roger says about clutch slip that would kick in at some point. So where abouts should I change gears? Currently I find 3000 rpm to be smooth for the engine when changing as it does'nt stutter or anything.

More
10 May 2021 16:55 - 10 May 2021 16:57 #234950 by Scimike
If that rpm works for you and your Jimmy then I would say that's perfect.
Its a personal thing, the Jimmy engine is very responsive over the entire rev range.
I tend to shift before 3000 as it suits my driving style, but I have shifted near the redline on hills with my caravan on the back. Jimmy is happy at both ends to be honest, short shifting or revving it hard, it makes no difference to the engine.

Last edit: 10 May 2021 16:57 by Scimike.

More
10 May 2021 20:27 #234954 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Clutch pedal
Torque is what causes a dying clutch to finally give up the ghost, so if you find out where max. torque is and stay away from it you will get the max life out of the clutch.

But the inevitable will catch you up. Try this. Try a rapid start with 4,000 rpm and before the clutch is fully engaged dip the pedal slightly. A good clutch will cope and grip, a well worn one will see the revs soar. Now back off the power and the clutch will struggle to cope. If it does this get it changed. All this assumes the clutch is correctly adjusted.

Roger

• justintime441
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2021 01:21 #234957 by justintime441
Replied by justintime441 on topic Clutch pedal
Are you new to driving manual? If so, get someone who knows how the clutch should feel and let them drive it.

More
11 May 2021 09:24 - 11 May 2021 09:25 #234960 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Clutch pedal
His Jimny has done 170,000 km

l would say with some degree of certainty that the clutch at the end of its life and he needs a new one fitted.
Last edit: 11 May 2021 09:25 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds