BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not Jimny related - question for mechanics

More
29 Nov 2020 08:18 #230491 by me101
Morning all. Not a Jimny question, but just looking for any thoughts. The wife has a 208 GTi which has a 1.6 turbo unit, and although it generally drives fine, there is an issue when you put your foot down. Still under warranty, but dealer says they cannot find an issue (which to me means they plugged it in and nothing came up). Best way I can describe it, is it surges. When you accelerate hard, it is not a smooth power delivery, it feels like it comes in waves. Had numerous turbo motors before, never had an issue like this. Any thoughts on what might be the problem??
Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2020 10:19 #230493 by Scimike
Not going to be much help unfortunately, but start simple and inspect the entire air duct circuit within the turbo system. An air leak on both the input and output side of the turbo can impact the way it performs.
After this it gets more difficult, it could be anything!
I assume this surging is not normal for the GTI, any forums or Facebook pages with owners experience you can ask?
After this I can only think rolling road engine tune. These people have the equipment to look at the performance of the entire system and are likely to spot the issue, you may even get a few more bhp in the tune.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Nov 2020 10:40 #230494 by Lambert
Could be air flow monitoring related or vacuum/pressure control system related. Or it could just be because it is French and taking industrial action?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Nov 2020 10:51 #230495 by me101
Doesn't seem to be a common issue on these, and looked at upping the BHP but seems they don't take kindly to it. Currently putting it down to French crap - she has had a couple of Fiat Punto turbos in the past, so we know sometimes to just overlook certain things!! Will have a look at the air pipes in the next few days.
Cheers

More
30 Nov 2020 07:38 #230518 by Grim Reaper
Try a Mass Air Flow sensor clean with some proper spray cleaner.
The dealer should have been able to see data from the sensor on their OBDII gear to see if it is acting up, but they may just want to get you to take it in when it eventually breaks down so they can charge you for replacing it.
(Cynical? Moi!)

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2020 08:48 #230520 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Not Jimny related - question for mechanics
You may well find there is nothing wrong with it.
My last two vans and both my son's vans do the same.
They drive as normal but the accelerator pedal has a bit of resistance 3/4 of the way down, when you press the pedal past the resistance the turbo kicks in, it's like a kick down switch.

Imagine you are entering a roundabout and miss-judged the traffic speed coming from the right and the engine has bogged down, you'd press the pedal down further than you normally would to get out of trouble this is where you'll the usefulness of this function especially in 2nd gear, and it can take you by surprise.

Most new diesel cars have this function.

More
30 Nov 2020 12:03 #230525 by me101
Hi Jimx5 - the issue is with constant turbo, not just initial spool up. Foot on floor, let it go up through the revs, it is not a smooth power delivery. Feels like something (fuel starvation?) holding it back as it surges the power in and out.

More
30 Nov 2020 14:49 #230527 by DrRobin
Could the waste gate be opening?

I had a problem a few years ago with a diesel turbo, there was just a general lack of power and then all of a sudden a pop and almost no power at all. Turns out the hose came off the inter-cooler and then you get virtually no air in to the engine.

If it is not a sensor is it a loose pipe?

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Nov 2020 15:36 #230528 by me101
Think I need to do a check on all the pipes. Not sure about the waste gate, it is very quiet under operation so difficult to listen out for.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds