BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Window tint recommendations

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Oct 2020 08:13 #229196 by Lambert
Was having a discussion with management about refreshing the tint on the back side windows in Dreadnaught as it's getting a bit scabby. Currently it's opaque being a commercial but that's not ideal for rear three-quarter visibility. The thought was to go with a tint rather than a full opaque again probably a 70pc vlt or maybe a 50pc vlt so it still looks black from the outside but it's possible to see out making it safer for junctions and car parks while retaining the security of not having prying eyes in the back and keeping it cooler for drivers and doggo when the sun is out (doggo is NEVER in the car on his own). I was just going to get a roll off amazon but cheaper isn't always better. I have some experience but a product that is DIY friendly would be useful instead of the all the gear professional pita stuff. What brands do I look for?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2020 09:20 - 17 Oct 2020 09:33 #229200 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Window tint recommendations
Hi Lambert,

I DIYed my own rear windows with a roll from Halfords. It was easy enough to do using the soap / water wet window application method and trim to finish. It's quality is great, still working and no problems 2 years on. You get enough to do all rear windows with extra for a fail. That said whilst the sides are perfect the rear was another matter, I failed totally to do this to my (high) standards so it's not tinted. I don't know if this was the film or me, I suspect a bit of both. I can't tell you if other film types are better or worse, I've only used the one and have nothing to compare. Talking to professional people they indicated they would need to remove the rear window, maybe this was my issue as I tried with it installed.
Good luck and make sure your windows are dust free before you apply.
Mike

Pleased with the result.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2020 09:33 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Oct 2020 09:42 #229201 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Window tint recommendations
Cheers. Looking good. What percentage light transmission is that?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Oct 2020 12:36 - 17 Oct 2020 12:38 #229209 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Window tint recommendations
Thanks. It's called Dark Smoke and has a VLT of 15%.
I don't think it's going to be dark enough for your privacy needs, I would go darker. The first photo is taken with both side windows inline, so you are actually looking through 2x15%. One tint on it's own is a lot lighter, you can see this better in this photo taken at an angle so it's through side window at 15% and the rear which is Suzuki standard(no aftermarket tint).

I don't have any night issues at 15% and would happily go darker for privacy, in the region of 10% to 5%. The other film Halfords sell is Limo black at 5%, maybe worth a visit to take a look at how dark it is. You can always take it back and order your preferred VLT online.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2020 12:38 by Scimike.

More
18 Oct 2020 11:32 #229228 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Window tint recommendations
I bought some pre cut tint kit off ebay for mine years ago. not the best quality product but cheap and no stress when it is pre cut to fit the windows.
Also been using "Biltema" wich is the Norwegian halfords, It was a bit better.
Some say 3M is the best tint but I guess many of those is a pirated product anyways.

I recommend to place the film on the outside with the protected glue-side out and heat it to get the curve in it before application to the inside.
I do not own a heat gun but a powerful hair dryer was okay.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2020 13:26 #229234 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Window tint recommendations
just remember to give the windows a really good clean / degrease and plenty of soapy water in a squirty bottle so you can re apply the vinyl if necessary then when it drys out it will be stuck in place, a sharp pin / scalpel for the little bubbles you will get just need to dab them with it then wipe over, credit card for applying the vinyl and then using it to get someone in to apply it for you! :woohoo: :woohoo: :) :)

More
19 Oct 2020 15:36 #229292 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Window tint recommendations
I used a glass scraper, thoroughly..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds