BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3

More
24 Aug 2020 14:28 #227283 by stuartmc
So time to swap Little Jim, 2006 Auto, 57K miles, for something newer. I am left with deciding to pay over the odds for a Gen4, always assuming I can find an Auto or get a late model Gen 3 and spend a couple of grand getting it up to date, replace hi-fi, get carplay, rear view cams etc. Also need to find someone to do it. Not looking to lift or anythng as not really used off-road much.

So question is, what can I upgrade to get near to Gen4 wihtout going completely OTT or would I just be better off biting the bullet and trying to fnd a Gen4?

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2020 15:01 #227286 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
Ultimately I think only you can answer this.

And it will likely come down to what you are wanting.

for myself, however. Back in early 2017 I was buying, the Gen 3 was on my list. But I actually bought a Smart ForTwo at the time. For the simple reason things like DAB radio, heated seats and such weren't an option on the Gen 3. At the time I didn't not know about the Gen 4, as it was before there was anything known.

Since then, I have traded my Smart in for a Gen 4 back in March this year.

I like the Gen 3 and as a weekend off roader I think I'd be happy. But I bought both the Smart and Gen 4 as daily drivers. So I wanted what the Gen 3 could not really offer in terms of modern amenities.

If you want these, I'm sure they can to some extent be retro fitted to a Gen 3. But how much this will cost you I don't know.

More
24 Aug 2020 15:02 - 24 Aug 2020 15:02 #227287 by lookonimages
End of day it is your money. Each person have different requirements.

One will tell you to bite the bullet, next person will tell you get latest gen3.

Only you will be in position to make the choice. Yes for gen4 there will be a premium, but man it is soooo nice and huge improvement over gen3.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 15:02 by lookonimages.

More
24 Aug 2020 15:03 #227288 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
Would you be happy with the older GEN3 shape or do you really want the GEN4 Shape?
This is the part you can't get similar, so if you really want the new shape then the only answer is to pay for it. You are also down by 200cc, another difficult (but not impossible) gap to close.
After this a late spec GEN3 is not a million miles away from the G4 and a lot cheaper, but the above two items are the big hurdles.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2020 15:40 #227289 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
My Spare Jimny is a 2016 auto. It is one of the reasons I don't want a gen4. It has the much nicer shape, has the useful tech toys like DAB but not the irrelevant ones like auto lights and speed signs. The biggest nail in the coffin of the 4 though is the silly money people want for them.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Aug 2020 15:50 #227291 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
There are some high prices being asked for the Gen 4

However l know that the Suzuki dealer near me is selling their Kinetic Yellow SZ5 demonstrator for £21,000
Which isn't a bad price in the current climate.

More
24 Aug 2020 16:10 #227293 by stuartmc
Replied by stuartmc on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
If that's an auto sounds like a reasonable price. If you don't mind me asking where are you.

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip

More
24 Aug 2020 20:16 #227306 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
lt's a manual transmission
l am near to Stockport, Cheshire
You won't get an SZ5 Jimny for less than that, particularly from a dealer, unless you are very lucky

More
25 Aug 2020 18:40 #227339 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
Have a look at Fridays Gadget Show. John Bentley has a go a modernising a 2005 Jimny with modern tech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
25 Aug 2020 19:33 #227342 by Scimike
Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll watch it.
I think my Jimny is full of gizmos as I've replaced the cigarette lighter with a USB charger!
Modern me ☺️

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
25 Aug 2020 20:00 #227343 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Get Gen4 or ugrade Gen3
Wasn't much on it to be honest, mostly common sense stuff. Thought they were going to go a bit more techie. Worth a watch though.

More
25 Aug 2020 20:52 #227345 by Scimike
Watched it. Yes not much to write about. I have most of the stuff in my replacement double din head unit.
Don't want tpms as I can still check tyre pressure manually, but I don't have a locking glove box, how posh!

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds