× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

will a little pressure ruin the vacuum system?

• seannd24
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 09:48 #227194 by seannd24
Hi everyone.

i'm a brand new member here so thank you for having me. especially a big thank you to Martin for his wise advice yesterday.

i am about to purchase my first jimny in a couple of days time knowing that it has a 4wd problem in that it will not engage 4wd high or low and there is a permanent flashing green symbol on the instrument panel ( twice a second ) that remains on even when restarting the car ( 06 plate but it's very low mileage and full history etc so i'm not overly concerned. )

my question to you all is: would it do any damage if i slightly pressurise the vacuum system in order to search for any leaks using soapy water?

thank you all in advance. .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2020 10:17 #227196 by mlines
It will be fine but do not over do it as you could blow the seals in the hub

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: seannd24

More
23 Aug 2020 10:23 #227197 by Scimike
Already answered by Martin, I plan to do the same if my system ever fails.
So only thing left is to say hello.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Aug 2020 10:55 #227198 by mlines
If it helps the vacuum system works at a vacuum of 260 mmHg or greater (ie, thats the vacuum that pulls the hubs in/out of lock)

260 mmHg is around 5 PSI (of vacuum)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Aug 2020 12:58 #227201 by Busta
Please let us know how you get on. I'd always though that a bit of pressure would be an easy way to find a leak, but in my 7 years of Jimny ownership I haven't yet had an opportunity to try it!

More
23 Aug 2020 13:12 #227203 by mxman
I actually bought a 2002 Jimny a month ago that has the piping to engage the 4wd completely rusted out.

I bought the parts and the dealership advice me also to change the seals on the front hubs, so I am quite interesting in know how it works for you before opening the hubs.

• seannd24
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 14:09 #227205 by seannd24
Thanks Martin.

That’s great news.. will hopefully make tracking it down a lot easier.

• seannd24
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 14:10 #227206 by seannd24
Replied by seannd24 on topic will a little pressure ruin the vacuum system?
Thanks guys..

I’ll keep you posted as to how successful it is over the next coupe of weeks.!

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds