BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2020 Jimny tuning

More
12 Aug 2020 21:02 #226577 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2020 Jimny tuning
On a NA petrol engine like the Jimny's, any gains from a remap will be small and at the top end of the rev range. Rather than spend £££ on a re-map, surely it's better to learn to live with the high revving engine and utilise the performance you've already paid for? If you're scared of damaging the engine, be reassured that Suzuki warranty it to be used however you wish! However they will not honour the warranty if somebody else has fiddled with the computer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2020 21:23 - 12 Aug 2020 21:24 #226582 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic 2020 Jimny tuning
l am not worried about revving the engine, but it seems almost a bit held back at lower RPM, as if it's being stifled by emissions regulations.
My KTM Duke was like that, l fitted a small fuelling box that gave a slightly richer mixture (around 3% l believe)
The bike was no faster but so much smoother at low RPM
Modern petrol engines often run a leaner than is ideal mixture to get past emissions and l wondered if the Jimny was the same.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2020 21:24 by lightning.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2020 09:25 #226608 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic 2020 Jimny tuning
I called in to one of the Tuning Shops today and asked if they do Suzuki mods. "No" was the answer.
I was looking for a change to the Alternator/Regulator Voltage Control Computer. He did send me next door to the Auto Electrician, who confirmed there is nothing he can do for me with the electronics. He does sell Lithium Dual Battery/Redarc systems. :ohmy:

More
13 Aug 2020 09:44 #226609 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 2020 Jimny tuning

lightning wrote: l am not worried about revving the engine, but it seems almost a bit held back at lower RPM, as if it's being stifled by emissions regulations.
My KTM Duke was like that, l fitted a small fuelling box that gave a slightly richer mixture (around 3% l believe)
The bike was no faster but so much smoother at low RPM
Modern petrol engines often run a leaner than is ideal mixture to get past emissions and l wondered if the Jimny was the same.

I've found this company: www.quantumtuning.co.uk/car-remap-tuning...e=Suzuki&range=Jimny

I know nothing about them. But they claim 10hp gains from a remap. I'm not sure you'll really that amount more, but a remap would allow anything funky Suzuki have programmed in for emissions control for Type Approval. So I do believe gains can be had.

Personally I've not found the Jimny to be poor at low rpm. It is a small naturally aspirated petrol engine, so it will never be a torque monster. But it will happily pull from 1500rpm in top, maybe even slightly lower revs when on the level.

Really though, to get the performance, you need to use the power band and the gearbox.

If low rpm performance is your desire, then a larger displacement engine and/or boost are the only answers really.

In terms of remaps. My concern would be voiding the warranty on such a new vehicle. But this may not be a concern for yourself.

I'm sure the Jimny's engine would respond to other n/a tuning techniques too, such as a better exhaust system, less restrictive intake or even a cam swap or ported heads. Most should see improvements everywhere, but as a trend, to get more n/a power, you usually move the power curve to the left, i.e. higher rpm use.

An alternative would maybe look at re-gearing. Shorter gearing would keep you higher in the rev band for normal driving. And therefore give you more performance for a given speed in a given gear than you'd have with the stock gearing. Downsides would be, more buzzy engine, potentially lower cruising speeds and a drop in mpg. But if you aren't doing high speed motorway work, this may not matter at all, and may well suit buzzing around country lanes at sub 60mph speeds.

• warrengti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2020 08:51 #226821 by warrengti
Replied by warrengti on topic 2020 Jimny tuning
Yes the ecu can be tuned there is a video on youtube of a phillipino guy getting one tuned dident get much more out of it maybe 10 hp and fixed a dead patch in the torque curve. I believe the ecu is the same as gsxr 1000 bike they must use the same ecu in a few models. If your after more power that can be noticed you would need a turbo or supercharger. In Australia there are a few options that are not to expensive AVO turbo world has a jimny turbo kit also Trust greedy do a kit for RHD only around the 6k AUD mark the Supercharger option is around 10K with an after market piggy back ECU anyway hope this helps

More
17 Aug 2020 09:01 #226823 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 2020 Jimny tuning

warrengti wrote: I believe the ecu is the same as gsxr 1000 bike they must use the same ecu in a few models.

It won't be the same ECU. It might run similar software or a similar interface. But what it will be controlling and why would be vastly different...

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds