BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift and anti roll bar

More
03 Jun 2020 13:04 #223218 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Lift and anti roll bar

Busta wrote:

sniper wrote: The angle of fitment is very important to effective anti roll bar operation, it's a spring designed to work on a set angle, change that angle and the forces in to / out of the spring, change.

It will still work and in the majority, little or no change will be felt. But if it was a car that was driven hard on tarmac, you would see a difference in performance. It is one of many suspension geometry points that rally teams work on when setting up a car, changing length from tarmac (short) to forest (long). If it didn't matter, I'm sure they would use service time on other things...

sniper

You're talking about adjustable anti roll bars which certainly are a thing in motorsport, A series of holes in the ends of the anti roll bar allow the drop link position to be altered, effectively altering the length of the spring (the spring being the arb itself), and therefore the strength of the anti roll effect.

Notice how drastically the drop link angle changes when the strength of the anti roll bar is adjusted, yet there is no counter-adjustment made to maintain a specific drop link angle, as this is not significant.

The Jimny does not have an adjustable anti roll bar. It's a fixed length spring. Adjusting the length of the drop links or changing the position of the anti roll bar is not the same thing as adjusting the stiffness of the roll bar itself. As long as both ends are parallel with each other when the vehicle is on level ground, and it is operating in a range where the droplinks will not invert, the angle of the roll bar itself does not matter.

Lambert wrote: Not on a Jimny but my old 90 was a pig for it on the back to the point that I had enough and removed it.

The rear anti roll bars on late model Defenders were a terrible afterthought and should all be removed and destroyed.

The anti roll bars were solid on the cars I worked with, non adjustable. The only change was in the drop link length, that changed because the suspension was taller in forest spec, exactly the same as a lift..... This was done to keep the angle of operation for the roll bar the same between set ups. Lowering the ARB mounts would have the same effect as lengthening the drop links.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2020 15:21 #223225 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lift and anti roll bar
Then I suspect they were doing it to prevent it fouling something or to stop the drop links inverting. This is fairly common practice when lowering cars. Neither are issues on the Jimny.

More
03 Jun 2020 21:39 #223239 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Lift and anti roll bar
Does anyone know of a disconnect made for the jb74 or something adaptable?Unfortunately it is illegal to cut and re-weld the anti-roll bar in Australia.

crash486

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Jun 2020 06:28 #223244 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Lift and anti roll bar

crash486 wrote: Does anyone know of a disconnect made for the jb74 or something adaptable?Unfortunately it is illegal to cut and re-weld the anti-roll bar in Australia.

crash486

Just undo one end of one of the droplinks and tie it out the way, does exactly the same thing ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds