BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?

More
28 Jan 2020 18:24 #217778 by Dan
The UK will still be signatories to the Paris climate change agreement, so we might find that the UK is surprisingly aligned with EU legislation in years to come.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 18:51 #217780 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Agreed. The UK is going to mirror the EU's laws when it comes to emmisions and climate change so nothing is really going to change in that regard.

I don't think the Jimny will be back any time soon tbh. They can't make enough of them for the far East and Australia and the car is about to launch in India as well.

• JimnyJohn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 16:59 #217813 by JimnyJohn
Replied by JimnyJohn on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
My dealer thinks the new engine 'is still a long way off'. By that, I think he means a few years away. Looks like the switch to a commercial vehicle in the EU/UK is likely in about 6 months, (ie. June), with dealers having the option to fit a rear seat kit. The effect on supply and the relative costs of the commercial Jimny + rear seat kit are unknown.

More
29 Jan 2020 17:24 #217814 by Dan
So the road tax will jump from £145 to £260?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 20:20 #217823 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
I reckon we will be nailed on road tax or some kind of emission tax in the very near future!! I was speaking to a french dude yesterday who said they get taxed around 4 grand on the jimny, NO KIDDING #!*^##!!!!!

More
29 Jan 2020 20:30 #217824 by mlines
My own personal opinion from picking up bits of info.

I think the Gen4 saloon will disappear in early 2021 and never re-appear in that form. The Van version will give Suzuki a small commercial rival to the Bippa etc. The 1.5 petrol saloon will be a rare beast.

Next year, Suzuki will sell a badged Corolla and Rav4 specifically for Hybrid/Electric, this is because the current Suzuki sourced range which is "hybrid" is actually very low hybrid capability.

The Jimny name will not disappear, we will eventually see a Gen5 or "Grand Jimny" which will not be an evolution from the current range (LJ-SJ-Jimny3-Jimny4 is a clear chassis/solid axle DNA) but will be something totally different underneath (electric/hybrid) but will be years away and may even be another badged Toyota. It could be that the Rav4 is the "Grand Jimny".

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
29 Jan 2020 22:37 - 29 Jan 2020 22:40 #217826 by yakuza

Andy2640 wrote: I reckon we will be nailed on road tax or some kind of emission tax in the very near future!! I was speaking to a french dude yesterday who said they get taxed around 4 grand on the jimny, NO KIDDING #!*^##!!!!!

A new jimny cost around 26-29000 pounds in UK?
Well here in Norway it would cost above 40000 from its emissions wich is why there is no Jimny.
A large new petrol car costs about twice or close to 100% fee if you will, from import tax on emissions.
Electrical vehicles has almost no import tax. We get the E-golf here for about the same price as in UK.
A Tesla X cost 85000 and a Range Rover Velar 95000 in Norway

edit: ahh forgot. EV has no toll road fees, no ferry cost, no road tax. electrical power cost 0.1 pound a kWh and petrol cost 1.7 pounds pr liter.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 22:40 by yakuza.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2020 09:18 #217839 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Thank you yakusa, your points are well made. When buying any new car in the not too distant future things are going to be different. Financial considerations and limited choice of power units are likely to affect us all. Much is made of the problems with buying a new Jimny but in a few short years you could have similar trouble buying a new Fiesta from your local Ford dealer. The future is bright, the future is EV?? Chris

• JimnyJohn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2020 09:34 - 30 Jan 2020 09:36 #217840 by JimnyJohn
Replied by JimnyJohn on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?

mlines wrote: nfo.

I think the Gen4 saloon will disappear in early 2021 and never re-appear in that form.

The Jimny name will not disappear, we will eventually see a Gen5 or "Grand Jimny" which will not be an evolution from the current range (LJ-SJ-Jimny3-Jimny4 is a clear chassis/solid axle DNA) but will be something totally different underneath (electric/hybrid) but will be years away and may even be another badged Toyota. It could be that the Rav4 is the "Grand Jimny".

'
Noooooooo!
What a bleak future.....the whole concept of a 'Grand Jimny' misses the point. We love the Jimny because it is what it is. The design of the Gen 4 is spot on - just a pity the engine belongs to times past. Hopefully, if Suzuki can find a new efficient hybrid engine and get it into the existing JImny, they'll be back on with a winner. I fear it'll all be too late for me though.....so the search for a Gen 4 continues!
Last edit: 30 Jan 2020 09:36 by JimnyJohn.

More
05 Feb 2020 23:03 #218091 by Foxtrot

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2020 18:29 #218118 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
You should see the used prices on autotrader. It's ridiculous.

More
07 Feb 2020 19:07 #218145 by Rhinoman

TillymintDLG wrote: In 3 days time, we can hopefully say F*** You to the EU regs?

They aren't EU rules, vehicle emissions and safety laws are UN regulations that are flowed down through the EU - we aren't leaving the UN so they will still apply.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds