BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2020 21:00 #217624 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?

Be a great N1 version.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2020 22:27 #217628 by yakuza
One out of ten cars in Norway is electric.
More than half of all new cars sold is electric, believed to reach 75% this year.
This is the future whether we like it or not.
I think I can safely say there will be no more Jimny in Norway, and from 2024 or 25 no Suzuki at all unless it is electric as petrol cars will be banned.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
23 Jan 2020 22:44 #217630 by cailean
"stop taking orders"? The dealers didn't take orders...they had random lists, with even different salesmen in the same dealership each having a 'list'.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2020 10:04 #217642 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
As an aside to whole story of "no such thing as an order" I never ordered a Gen4, in January '18 I put a small deposit on a Gen3 (just to be sure I got the right colour and gearbox).
We still have an '08 jlx+ and the dealer assured me that a new Adventure model was the nearest equivalent. After the best part of a year and lots of this colour isn't available and not in that model sir I was invited to test drive a Gen4. Ten days later I had a new car. I was never offered any accessories, not so much as mats never mind leather seats. It was only after joining this forum that I learnt these things were in short supply. Clearly a different buying experience from many of you.
Chris

• Timpel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2020 15:09 #217650 by Timpel
Replied by Timpel on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Dealer did confirm that they won't sell Jimnys anymore for now. And some who have orderes place will not get the jimnys and orders will be canceled. When i did order mine i was 15th order in the country. Now mine is 3rd in list waiting to be built. Just hoping that suzuki won't cancel my order.

More
24 Jan 2020 15:58 - 24 Jan 2020 16:17 #217652 by mlines
The official press release today states that the Jimny will continue to be sold in the UK, in low numbers, throughout 2020 and into 2021 when the commercial version will appear.

Personal Opinion:

As always, "orders" is not a concept that Suzuki UK uses for Jimnys anyway, you get whatever you are given. Other EU countries do have "orders" and therefore as the low numbers are unlikely to fulfil these then these countries must cease orders now and this is what the press is picking up on

As low numbers arriving in the UK will continue into early 2021 this gives perhaps 12 to 14 months of development time. The Jimny is already a "bitsa" car with some parts of LJ/SJ heritage, some Gen3, some Grand Vitara and some Swift (particularly some of the electronics). There was previously a Gen4 spottted in Toyota and there was some announcements around a Suzuki/Toyota RAV4 development. Therefore it is not inconceivable to me that there is not a great deal of effort in fitting in a mild hybrid to a Jimny in that time period. The K series engine is fitted to a number of Suzukis, all candidates for a hybrid (swift etc) therefore the basic "mounting" capability is there already.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 16:17 by mlines.

More
24 Jan 2020 17:01 #217654 by Bob1050
Well I'd better have another think about the future of my 1 year old G4 Jimny - there was me thinking that I should start planning its replacement for delivery in 2 years time!

If the dealers aren't going to have them and the environmentalists dictate bus travel, electric vehicles or cycling then what do I do?

Maybe EU vehicle rules will not apply to us in a few years time?

More
24 Jan 2020 17:52 - 24 Jan 2020 18:07 #217656 by Fossie

Andyhereford wrote: Don’t you think that the Jimny will just become a “classic car” in the same way as the Morris Minor has done. It is a uniquely designed car, relatively easy to work on and great fun to drive. I can’t imagine that it’s engine is any less efficient than the Morris 1000 engine and certainly the chassis and body of the Jimny is no more prone to rust than was the Morris. Providing the demand is there spare parts will be produced and websites such as this will maintain the knowledge and skills to maintain these fantastic little cars.

Some Jimnys are over 15 years old so can qualify as classics but needs a formal club this will get classic insurance etc , but also shows the name has a following helping effect future corporate desiscion .

Thought I would just add that I have just come back from Florence, where about 10%of the cars in the area were Jimnys either 06 to 19 plates and even a few SJs . This is because the roads are so narrow and Tuscany is hilly and in winter almost impassable in places.
There were a few new Ignis 4 grip hybrids but it isn't the same vehicle and can't be used the same .
This must be the same in many places surely Suzuki should do something....even if the FRENCH AND GERMAN motor companies that rule the EU try to dictate .
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 18:07 by Fossie.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2020 19:37 #217686 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
" even if the FRENCH AND GERMAN motor companies that rule the EU try to dictate . " ??
Its the EU that has introduced the g/km rule, not the car company's..
Mercedes will be dropping most of its amg cars (apparently) and using a 2 litre turbo for its amg fleet as its the only way to get their average g/km down to what is required.
Another manufacturer has bought an electric car company as that will reduce their average g/km significantly.
Making a hybrid or electric jimny may push the cost to far up to make it viable ?

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 10:21 #217764 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Just seen this article, from Jan 22....

Suzuki Jimny Going Away In Europe, Returning As Commercial Vehicle

www.motor1.com/news/394331/suzuki-jimny-dropped-in-europe/
Gaz

More
28 Jan 2020 13:04 #217769 by Foxtrot
When the saloon version eventually reappears and complies with the EU regulations hopefully they will be able to keep up with demand and stop a lot of the unscrupulous dealers which are whacking an extra 25% onto of the RRP...

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 13:34 #217770 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
In 3 days time, we can hopefully say F*** You to the EU regs?

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds