BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 Jimny undersealing

More
19 Aug 2019 11:36 - 19 Aug 2019 11:38 #212285 by facade
Replied by facade on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing

Bob1050 wrote: if the Jimny is assembled from zinc coated steel.....

A pretty big if. I doubt it very much ;)

Anything that thickens up the paint where the stones are going to hit it is a good idea, anything water displacing and anti-corrosive inside the box sections is better, the Gen 3 rotted from inside the box sections and double skins.

I've tried engine oil, ACF50, NATO fluid (smells just like JL69 to me) waxoil and dinitrol over the years. and dinitrol actually seems to reduce corrosion long term, I've cut rusty metal off sills that have been waxoiled inside and the waxoil hasn't soaked into the rust, it just lifts off leaving dry scale underneath. ACF 50 and the NATO fluid are ok if you keep spraying it on. (Same as engine oil really)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 11:38 by facade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2019 11:37 #212286 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing

Bob1050 wrote: Think carefully about what you are trying to achieve - if the Jimny is assembled from zinc coated steel, then adding 'underseal' will have a very limited impact on the speed at which the underlying steel rusts. It will offer some barrier to stone chips and for some folk might be more attractive cosmetically. Any anti-corrosion properties are not reaching the steel itself - they will sit over the factory applied finishes. Little harm in applying any of the off-the shelf 'waxy' type finishes but the jury might be out for a long time before the benefits are realised. I've sprayed a few vehicles myself - lack of trust in commercial applicators. If you are comfortable using a £1 household plant sprayer and have a can of your favoured material - then you can do it yourself and know it has been thoroughly done. The Jimny is a small vehicle so I don't see it being a big job - could be a bit messy though!

This is why I recommended Bilt Hamber DYNAX UC because it's clear! It wont detract from your new gen.4's gleaming underside and you cant make an 'ugly job of it' just build the coats up on the areas susceptible to the most rust i.e Axles, suspension, running gear, arches

More
19 Aug 2019 11:44 #212288 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing
On other equipment sites I have looked at on other issues often the manufacturer steps in to the discussion to put their perspective. It would be good to hear from Suzuki on this matter given the poor reputation for rust their vehicles have and the somewhat random pattern of factory undersealing applied to the GEN 4 (at least mine). To clear up issues such as zinc coated steel, why the warranty is voided if underseal applied and why they have confidence in the way their rust prevention treatment is currently done. It looks to me like a rust bucket in waiting.

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 11:50 #212289 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing
Hi. I spoke to Suzuki and they confirmed that it would not invalidate any warranty. I have that in writing and will be keeping the email should I need to make a claim in the future.

More
19 Aug 2019 11:53 #212290 by Micheal
Thanks, that's not what they told the dealer from whom my Gen 4 came, the opposite in fact. I will contact them directly. Do you have a contact email for this kind of thing at Suzuki?

More
19 Aug 2019 12:36 #212292 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing
Really struggling to understand on what grounds the application of a 'wax' type coating on the underside of a Suzuki Jimny would invalidate the warranty. Think that is a 'pub talk' rumour - never seen any real evidence of it happening. If you did an invasive deconstruction of the vehicle in order to apply a coating, or created such a mess that no tech would want to work on it - there might be reasonable grounds to dismiss some warranty related claims. I say this as someone who has never had a warranty claim rejected and suffered major transmission problems after I treated the underside of a vehicle and then returned it to a main dealer.

More
19 Aug 2019 12:43 #212293 by Bob1050
You are making me smile - the gleaming underside of my new Jimny looked awful to my eyes! I had many elements that were over-sprayed and the whole visual impact was one of "this looks like an unfinished project"! or the painter got bored halfway through the job, as an accountant tried to save a few pennies on paint and labour. As the months go on I'm happy to say it's al toning down - but I'd rather the underside was one even colour.

More
19 Aug 2019 12:50 #212295 by Micheal
As I understood it Suzuki advised the dealer only the 12 year rust warranty would be voided if extra underseal was applied. Likewise on my Gen 4 the factory protection is hit and miss with many areas devoid of any factory standard protection. There is a quaint air of random pattern about it --- like they gave the application robots free licence to do what they want for an afternoon in order to express their individuality!

More
19 Aug 2019 12:57 #212296 by Bob1050

facade wrote:

Bob1050 wrote: if the Jimny is assembled from zinc coated steel.....

A pretty big if. I doubt it very much ;)

Anything that thickens up the paint where the stones are going to hit it is a good idea, anything water displacing and anti-corrosive inside the box sections is better, the Gen 3 rotted from inside the box sections and double skins.

I've tried engine oil, ACF50, NATO fluid (smells just like JL69 to me) waxoil and dinitrol over the years. and dinitrol actually seems to reduce corrosion long term, I've cut rusty metal off sills that have been waxoiled inside and the waxoil hasn't soaked into the rust, it just lifts off leaving dry scale underneath. ACF 50 and the NATO fluid are ok if you keep spraying it on. (Same as engine oil really)

Like yourself, I have tried an range of products/materials over the years in an attempt to keep the tin worm at bay. Another one is boiled linseed oil (usually favoured by cricket minded folk) which impressed me on bare steel. First stone chips on front end suggest steel is zinc plated as zero rust appeared - although all those water-based environmentally friendly paints seem to chip quite easily (not just on Suzuki products). Agree with your thinking on thickening up the surface coatings where impact takes place. In today's world there's many folk who like built in obsolescence and many folk who change the vehicle as they quickly get bored of it. Few folk appear to want anything that lasts longer than the release of the latest must have model.

More
19 Aug 2019 13:30 #212298 by Bill Portland
I’m unlikely to keep my gen 4 for more than 12 years maximum. By then, probably won’t be allowed to drive in towns or cities, no petrol stations left, anything other than electric vehicles will be banned. All a bit tongue in cheek but 12 years is a long time in environmental politics.
I won’t need to be investing in mods like lifts, roll cages, snorkels, winches, winch points, etc and so there’s no saving in keeping the same old vehicle from that point of view. I’ll have done over 150,000 miles so other bits will be wearing out fast by then.
In-car safety, infotainment, economy, driver aids (autonomous cars?) etc will have moved on so much in the next 12 years that I’ll be needing the next “must have” features.
So there’s not too much incentive for me to want to have to spend out to keep the car’s life any longer than, say, 12 years.
One thing that makes me seriously consider having the underbody treated is that I wouldn’t then have to have the car inspected by a Suzuki main dealer every year to maintain the 12 year anti-perforation warranty. Which means I won’t have to have it serviced by a Suzuki main dealer at their ridiculous prices (£800 for 3 years servicing?!)

More
19 Aug 2019 14:41 #212302 by facade
Replied by facade on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing

Bob1050 wrote: boiled linseed oil (usually favoured by cricket minded folk) which impressed me on bare steel.

Boiled linseed oil is interesting as in the presence of oxygen it quickly polymerises to form a dry hydrophilic coating like a varnish. It was used a lot on bicycles as a combination threadlocker and corrosion preventer. Never tried it on a car, I'm not sure if it is what they season cast iron pans with, the recommendation is flax oil which AFAIK is raw linseed oil, boiled linseed has some possibly toxic catalysts added to it.

The Jimny may well have zinc coated panels here and there, SEAT trumpet their use of zinc coatings to give an "industry leading" 12 year (limited) anti perforation warranty, you'd think Suzuki would say it as loudly if it were the case. Tbh, most cars (except Mazdas I hear ;) ), even Ford Ka can usually mange 12 years before there is enough rust to need welding anyway. My Gen3 was fine at 9, I like to think the dinitrol helped it get 5 or so extra years, with this one I'm hoping that I can get even more by rust inhibiting it before it actually starts to go rusty.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 18:54 #212323 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic GEN 4 Jimny undersealing
That came from my dealer. I will post a copy of it for you.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds