BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stone Chips and T-cut?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2019 06:45 #208307 by Andy2640
Stone chips and t-cut? was created by Andy2640
Washed the car yesterday, found a tiny chip on the paint (Argggh). Just wondering whats the best product to use to keep them in check?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 May 2019 07:08 #208308 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Stone chips and t-cut?
On my last scooby I had all the leading surfaces covered with a heavy clear vinyl. That worked.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2019 07:32 #208310 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Stone chips and t-cut?

Lambert wrote: On my last scooby I had all the leading surfaces covered with a heavy clear vinyl. That worked.

Mmmhhhh ..... Now there's an idea. Thanks my lord :-)

More
19 May 2019 09:44 - 19 May 2019 09:45 #208334 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Stone chips and t-cut?
Stone chips are an annoying fact of life.
Lamberts already got option 1 which is cover the paint surface with a protective cover of some sort.
Option 2 - get a touch up pen and keep on to of the chips, done correctly you can't see the repair.
Option 3 - do nothing and when it gets a mess or you want to sell get "chips away" in to repair the panel.
Option 4 - embrace the rugged look, fit a snorkel and leave it covered in mud.

The reality is probably a mix of all, but don't get hung up about them, it's going to happen if you drive and enjoy the vehicle..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 May 2019 09:45 by Scimike.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2019 10:51 #208336 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Stone chips and t-cut?

Lambert wrote: On my last scooby I had all the leading surfaces covered with a heavy clear vinyl. That worked.

I agree. Have used Xpel Ultimate film on the front, bonnet and sides of my BM - and two years in it has proved very effective. It has an element of 'self-healing' as well. Takes a strike and then the tiny hole somehow fills-in as the vinyl is warmed in the sun, over a day or two (or you can speed the process up with a heat gun).

Not cheap though!

After about 5 years then I think you are into Scimike's 'mix' of different solutions.

More
22 May 2019 15:07 #208683 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Stone chips and t-cut?
Depending how deep they are you might try repairing the damage by polishing them out with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

It is just a polish but gives a small amount of protection. AG SRP has the capability to 'fill' damage and a chip or scratch can almost disappear. You'll need to build it up though, it will take time and patience.
Once the appearance of any damage is reduced, follow up with a good quality wax such as Colinite 845 Insulator Wax -or any other quality wax that you like.
I like Colinite 845 as it gives a particularly good 'wet' shine especially to white or silver coloured paintwork which is difficult to make look shiny.

There are 'magic' scratch treatments out there - but I've never tried them. Other than that its old fashioned touch-up paint.

I like the idea of the Xpel film - prevention better than cure

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 15:56 #208691 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Stone chips and t-cut?
I agree with Max - that Autoglym SRP can work like this. If the chip is a bit bigger then you need touch up paint and the finest possible artist's brush (from an art shop). Also you need some sort of pad to support your wrist (like a professional signwriter uses).
Then let the paint dry for about 8-10 minutes only, and buff it with polish or the very mildest cutting agent, whilst it is still malleable. This takes the 'edges' of the paint blob out.

More
22 May 2019 17:21 #208705 by stiffsteve204me
I've had good results from this, on light scratches.

shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tripple-250ml

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 20:03 #208744 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Stone Chips and T-cut?
Very, very useful to know George. Thanks.

For anyone who hasn't got "bare metal" as yet, I guess that masking-off and 3 or 4 coats of spray can clearcoat might suffice?

(Or depending on the colour of your Jimny, Stone Chip paint might be even be better - but that requires accurate masking!)

More
22 May 2019 20:25 #208750 by stiffsteve204me
Thanks for the heads-up, George.

I live a couple of hundred yards from the sea, so will need to have a look at the paint on mine.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2019 09:07 - 25 May 2019 09:13 #208911 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Stone Chips and T-cut?
Hi George, you may be well ahead of me - but have you tried auto plastic restorer? Gtechniq C4 and Meguiars Ultimate Black are probably two of the best.

On the other hand, if you are decided on painting the grill then the following has some good ideas. (Just grit-your-teeth every time the presenter says "NICE!")
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=videos+of+m...A0E113D662&FORM=VIRE

Conversely, if money is no object then you could try a whole vehicle wrap, including the grill.
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=videos+of+m...5FB9B5F1EE&FORM=VIRE

Swap the greys and blacks of the H&R design for sand and brown and you really would have Andy's "Desert Camo". You would stand out in the city and blend-in in the Bush. Perfect!
Last edit: 25 May 2019 09:13 by Guy 2. Reason: Correction

More
25 May 2019 11:11 #208918 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Stone Chips and T-cut?
We use 303 aerospace protection on the boat applied 2 or 3 times a year to exposed plastics

www.amazon.co.uk/303-Protectant-Plastic-...615&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnjohanaphy

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds