BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 keyless

• rsg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2019 01:07 - 10 May 2019 01:10 #207640 by rsg
Gen 4 keyless was created by rsg
From what I have seen of the Japanese gen4’s models they come with keyless entry and start.

For those of us in countries that have keys, has anybody had a peak behind where the start button should be to see if there is any wiring that might suggest the possibly of modifying to keyless?
Last edit: 10 May 2019 01:10 by rsg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 May 2019 04:07 #207641 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 keyless
Isn't that doing the car thieves job for them? At least with keys they have to go to the effort of breaking into your house to get the keys rather than just standing about outside and mimicking the signal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 May 2019 07:04 #207647 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 4 keyless
I was thinking the same as Lambert, I'm really glad ours don't have keyless entry/start!

More
10 May 2019 11:28 #207671 by Hanslow
Replied by Hanslow on topic Gen 4 keyless
I'd be happy with keyless stop/start, but I don't want keyless entry.

You can have that combo as that's how my other half's Fiesta is. We still have to click the fob to unlock the doors, but then it's proximity checked and able to start the car with the key in your pocket.

My old GT86 was keyless entry as well as start, which whilst convenient, I was never really sold on the security side of things, plus it became second nature and I'd end up going back to check I'd actually locked it or not.

More
10 May 2019 11:33 #207672 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Gen 4 keyless

Gadget wrote: I was thinking the same as Lambert, I'm really glad ours don't have keyless entry/start!

Agree there, Gadget.

I asked the question of the Dealership, before a test drive.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• warrengti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2019 11:27 #207722 by warrengti
Replied by warrengti on topic Gen 4 keyless
I would be really interested to see this to.

It looks like the JDM Jimny Sierra gets the proximity fob you can see the small buttons on all three doors and the start button inside.

Unfortunately I think it might not be piratical to get the system installed as to do the conversion I would think you need a few thins like where your ignition barrel sits would have a little servo to activate the steering lock and a new cover for the steering column. You may also need a new BCM although not sure what the new Jimny runs as in a centrally computer that controls everything or a BCM with and engine and transmission computer. The you would need the start button and all the other stuff to go with it. Then there would be the problem of getting the key fob programmed. My last car I had to get the dealer to program the fob from the vin number.

Sorry if this puts a downer on the whole thing because I myself would love this feature and believe it should have at least been optioned. We only have one option here in Australia form what I have seen its equivalent to the ZS5 of the GLX without heated seats.

More
11 May 2019 12:12 #207724 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen 4 keyless
Watching the Australian reviews, it seems you get the more useful reversing camera in place of the heated seats, as well as a nice green colour (which is what I would have chosen).

However, in the UK, keyless = stolen pretty much before you have shut your front door, which is why we luddites prefer a nice key to hold onto.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
12 May 2019 01:59 #207740 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Gen 4 keyless
If you really want a keyless start, you can check with these folks:

Easyguard Push Button Start

I think I would provide the same council others here have given. Our Toyota Fortuner has push button start and Toyota likes to maintain a reputation for reliability. With that said, the Toyota technician that installs accessories warned us not to add anything that tampers with the ignition. He told us that the push button start was extremely sensitive and prone to failure. We haven't had any problems but it is worth considering.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds