BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

More
24 Sep 2019 16:22 #213819 by Bill Portland
That's what worries me about autonomous driving cars. My range rover sport has the radar controlled adaptive cruise control (which is not so useful on the motorway - you just end up doing the speed of the slowest vehicle) but is great for single carriageways. Except that if you join then end of the queue of traffic and proceed at the same speed as they do and you're going relatively slowly compared to the target speed you've set on the cruise control (45mph in a 60 say) if you go round a sharpish bend the radar thinks the road ahead is now clear and tries to speed up to 60 despite that you're going round a sharp bend!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 18:07 #213824 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Jimny apparently gets dual camera system, no radar.
Can't claim to understand it but more info here.
blog.twwhiteandsons.co.uk/car-reviews/su...rake-support-suzuki/
Chris

More
24 Sep 2019 18:12 #213825 by facade
The dash panel on mine glows angry red 3 or 4 times a journey, with the picture of a car crash. Luckily it hasn't put the brakes on......yet.

It seems to detect parked cars on a right hand curve as parked cars that I am aiming at.

I'd disable it but I suppose it might be handy if it can put the brakes on when I'm looking at the speedo rather than where I'm going. :)

At least the tyres have re-inflated themselves again to 25 in the warmer weather B)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Sep 2019 18:42 #213826 by stiffsteve204me

facade wrote: The dash panel on mine glows angry red 3 or 4 times a journey, with the picture of a car crash. Luckily it hasn't put the brakes on......yet.

It seems to detect parked cars on a right hand curve as parked cars that I am aiming at.

I'd disable it but I suppose it might be handy if it can put the brakes on when I'm looking at the speedo rather than where I'm going. :)

At least the tyres have re-inflated themselves again to 25 in the warmer weather B)

I found this short video of the crash avoidance system in operation.

Mine has given me a few dash flashes (usually when parking!) but has not hit the brakes yet.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade

More
24 Sep 2019 18:57 #213827 by facade
Explains why we can't get green ones- they have crashed them all :laugh:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 19:05 #213829 by Daniel30
That will buff out :laugh:

More
24 Sep 2019 20:39 - 24 Sep 2019 20:39 #213833 by Soeley
I have had the brakes come on on mine. Some stupid chav thought they were big by just walking out and smirking out you. I always try and get as close as I can before giving them the full blast of the air horns :woohoo: I was only doing about 20 mph as I was approaching my turn, the brakes kicked in just as I was pressing the brake pedal.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2019 20:39 by Soeley.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Sep 2019 04:14 #213843 by Lambert

Soeley wrote: I have had the brakes come on on mine. Some stupid chav thought they were big by just walking out and smirking out you. I always try and get as close as I can before giving them the full blast of the air horns :woohoo: I was only doing about 20 mph as I was approaching my turn, the brakes kicked in just as I was pressing the brake pedal.

In a situation like that where you have a functioning avoidance system in operation and someone puts it to the test and gets hurt who does the liability rest with? Obviously not the injured party as no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Not you as the driver as you can't be expected to anticipate every last second action by another party, hence the need for the automated system. And not the car manufacturer as they will have small print absolving their responsibility for the use of their automatic avoidance system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Oct 2019 21:08 #214320 by Bob1050
Hi Folks - News update - the odometer has passed 10k miles and I am pleased to report that the Suzuki Jimny continues to put a large smile on this owner's face. Looks like this is going to be a 'high mileage' example when the boss decides the time has come for replacement. The drivers floor mat continues to survive - but it looks like that will be the first component to fail in service. Other than that nothing of significance (moans or groans) to report.

• Tex
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 07:28 #214394 by Tex
Morning all, Gents.

My Jimny is approaching the 4,000km mark and I've just had it repaired under warranty.
Since its delivery it has been behaving faultlessly with the exception of an occasional annoying trembling above/behind the pedal box.
As I got the Jimny last july, just before the dealer closed for the holidays, I planned to check and sort it during my days off, but life got in the way and I just managed to verify that nothing visible was loose.
Last week I eventually managed to arrange a visit to the dealer, who agreed that it definitely had to be looked into: they kept it for a day and - after contacting suzuki - they replaced the steering column (I understand some uj had play from the start).
The strange thing is that the steering had always been absolutely fine, whereas the problem seemed to affect the cluth and brake pedal movement, making them "click" when operated.

P.S.: when I registered on here I promised some pictures of my jimny...I took them, but my camera died soon after, and with me being a tech-impaired person I'll need time to upload them from the phone
But I'll get there :P

More
23 Oct 2019 22:15 #215095 by Bob1050
Really rattling up the miles this month - just passed the 11,000 miles mark on the odometer after a trip up to the N.E. (of Scotland). Interesting and suicidal wildlife left me wondering if the JImny was going to survive the trip. A very large (and dazed) Highland stag was wandering about an unlit road and a badger decided to cross in front of me on another unlit road. Averaged 46mpg over the trip, the engine has loosened up nicely and zero components have rattled free. Continue to have a smile on my face as I drive about and folk still seem to find the car a novelty and engage in conversation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
24 Oct 2019 05:43 - 24 Oct 2019 05:45 #215098 by saxj
Mine has just been for it's 30000km service. It's the first car I have owned (including 2 previous Jimny's) where I have not had to tell the workshop to fix something that was not a normal service item.

No issues to date, and not even a murmur from the dealer about my big tyres and lift.

Surprisingly 70% left on the brake pads, and it's an Auto.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2019 05:45 by saxj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds