BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My 2014 overland Jinmy project is here!

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 20:12 #135760 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic My 2014 overland Jinmy project is here!
Some thing like this for your tray back?

A roof top tent is the way to go... I wouldn't trust towing a trailer off road with a Jimny... I towed a empty sankey and the thing pushed me into the middle of the road when I tired to stop at the junction and I could reverse up a small incline on full lock...

Just my opinion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2015 21:23 #135775 by Busta
I don't want to sound rude, but a Sankey is a poor choice of trailer from the start, especially behind a Jimny. Half a ton when empty, high centre of gravity, old in-effective brakes and a pathetic payload. No braked trailer should push you on when you try to stop. If it does there is something wrong. Problems reversing points to a fault with the over-run brakes too.

A small, braked Ifor Williams GD trailer would go great behind a Jimny and be up to the job for overland use too.

I tow half a ton on and off-road with the Jimny and, other than the fact my trailer has no brakes I have no problems at all. Even reversing around corners, up hills, in mud etc.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
22 Jan 2015 21:26 - 22 Jan 2015 21:28 #135776 by funkyjimny
I've had a roof tent on a Jimny .... Don't bother ! Wind resistance is unreal over 40 mph, cornering is like waiting for it to tip over ( had no ARB on at the time though) too much weight up top really, never used it, real shame.
Tbh wish I'd kept it and bought/made an off road trailer to mount it on.... But I have a brand new caravan and a new T5 transporter I kip in anyway.. Too many toys..

Off road Eriba looks awesome!

Gary
Last edit: 22 Jan 2015 21:28 by funkyjimny.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 21:32 #135779 by JerseyJimny
"I don't want to sound rude, but a Sankey is a poor choice of trailer from the start, especially behind a Jimny. Half a ton when empty, high centre of gravity, old in-effective brakes and a pathetic payload."

Not trying to cause an argument but you just described a old caravan right there...

A half tone when empty sankey weighs the same as a lightweight trailer carrying close to half a tonne...

What's the towing capacity of a Jimny by the way?

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
22 Jan 2015 21:42 #135781 by funkyjimny
750kg's... Sankey means you can't put much in it lol

Gary

More
22 Jan 2015 21:46 - 22 Jan 2015 21:47 #135782 by Busta

JerseyJimny wrote: "I don't want to sound rude, but a Sankey is a poor choice of trailer from the start, especially behind a Jimny. Half a ton when empty, high centre of gravity, old in-effective brakes and a pathetic payload."

Not trying to cause an argument but you just described a old caravan right there...

A half tone when empty sankey weighs the same as a lightweight trailer carrying close to half a tonne...

What's the towing capacity of a Jimny by the way?

I presumed you wanted to actually put stuff in the sankey, not just tow it around empty? The caravan weighs half a ton when it is full of useful stuff like beds, a kitchen and has windows and a roof. You can't sleep in a sankey, even when it's empty. Your Sankey going to be the best part of a ton by the time you stick a tent on top and fill it with the same stuff the caravan already has in it.

A well look after modern caravan that is designed to be towed behind lightweight cars will have far superior brakes to a neglected war relic.

Jimny towing capacity is 350kg (or 300kg?) unbraked, 1350kg braked.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2015 21:47 by Busta.

More
22 Jan 2015 21:50 #135784 by Busta
I've found out why you couldn't reverse with the sankey too...

Useful Sankey Article wrote: To reverse the trailer you have to manually place a steel collar over the neck of the towing eye to stop it operating the brakes.

Ah, just like in the good old days before we had decent trailer brakes!

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 21:53 #135785 by JerseyJimny
Well that's fine I have 350 kg spare :)

I would love to see a caravan getting dragged through some half difficult green lanes

Personally I wouldn't go down the trailer route if your planning on off roading

A RTT would be alot more convenient on the roof in my opinion

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 21:56 #135788 by JerseyJimny

Busta wrote: I've found out why you couldn't reverse with the sankey too...

Useful Sankey Article wrote: To reverse the trailer you have to manually place a steel collar over the neck of the towing eye to stop it operating the brakes.

Ah, just like in the good old days before we had decent trailer brakes!

I had the brakes disabled... I had reversed down a driveway and then I had to reverse around the corner and up a small incline

I started burning the clutch in 4 low and gave up... grabbed a mate unhitched and pushed it up the hill

More
22 Jan 2015 22:18 #135796 by Busta

JerseyJimny wrote: Well that's fine I have 350 kg spare :)

I would love to see a caravan getting dragged through some half difficult green lanes

Personally I wouldn't go down the trailer route if your planning on off roading

A RTT would be alot more convenient on the roof in my opinion

850kg, which is more than a sankey is rated for.

I don't think a roof tent would fair much better on an overgrown green lane. At least you can drop the caravan off at the campsite before going laning. I don't know of anywhere in the UK where you need to go down a green lane to get to a campsite?

This whole 'overland' thing is a bit silly in Europe if you ask me. We have good roads and campsites. Why not just chuck a tent in the boot like everyone else? Or tow a caravan....?

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2015 22:19 #135797 by JerseyJimny
"Your Sankey going to be the best part of a ton by the time you stick a tent on top and fill it with the same stuff the caravan already has in it."

Clearly you down understand areas like Pryeness mountains, Iceland and the Alps... All with in reach of the UK

But I agree if your never leave the UK why even bother about a Caravan? Chuck a two man tent in the back and off you go every site will have nice green soft grass to pitch on

Two different world's

More
22 Jan 2015 22:34 - 22 Jan 2015 22:47 #135801 by Busta
I did an 'overland' trip in Iceland in October, as you mention it. I took my tent, clothes, food, kitchen and my own vehicle; 30kg all up...

They have grassy campsites there too, and in October they are all free because it's 'too cold' for tourists. I wouldn't bother shipping a car and trailer over there for the trip though. You'll see it all in a week. Plus you can't legally drive offroad anywhere, and if you try you will get stuck in the ridiculously soft mud and they will all laugh at your teeny weeny tyres...

The F-roads are just gravel, in summer you can do them in any 4x4.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2015 22:47 by Busta.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds