BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Standard Jack Handle.

• wanderinstar
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2012 16:26 #33897 by wanderinstar
Standard Jack Handle. was created by wanderinstar
Am I the only one who finds the standard jack handle difficult to use. I find it really difficult to use. The crank needs to be at least another 6" longer. In my opinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wanderinstar
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 08:29 #33946 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
Would seem it is only me that has weaker muscles. Mind I am getting weaker generally.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 09:10 #33948 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
I'm guessing not many people use the standard jack... I know I save mine for emergencies only.

Maybe you should invest in a trolley jack :)

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2012 09:23 #33949 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
Never used mine... the only time i had a puncture i was at home, so used th trolley.

I need a new trolley, as i found out my current one only lifts the jimny about 30mm off the deck at full reach. I tend to drive it up onto some blocks if i'm underneath it with the wheels on

More
21 Feb 2012 12:55 #33962 by Johnniehec
Unfortunately my jack was missing, presume lost in action , when I bought my Jimny, so I don't know what it even looks like. I carry a landr***r bottle jack out of a 1990 RR vogue SE I scrapped (the jack was the only bit worth keeping, rust had got the rest of it). Only downside is it tends to disapear into the ground rather than lift the Jimny off road, yes I know I need to carry a piece of wood! I have a trolley jack in the garage.
john.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
21 Feb 2012 16:06 #33972 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
I have a 4 tonne bottle jack too that sits in my box of bits.. I have the standard jack too but the bottle back is far more trustworthy :)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2012 12:33 #34013 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Johnniehec wrote: Unfortunately my jack was missing, presume lost in action , when I bought my Jimny, so I don't know what it even looks like. I carry a landr***r bottle jack out of a 1990 RR vogue SE I scrapped (the jack was the only bit worth keeping, rust had got the rest of it). Only downside is it tends to disapear into the ground rather than lift the Jimny off road, yes I know I need to carry a piece of wood! I have a trolley jack in the garage.
john.

one of these would do the job

More
22 Feb 2012 16:04 #34020 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
How do they work?
Seems mostly holes to me, you want a solid board to give a large surface area.

Are you supposed to wrap them with something?
Or do they just sink in and keep the jack level?

I have a RangeRover jack too. They are perfect, have a curved top to locate under the axle tube and a 2 stage lifting ram so they go down small enough for a flat tyre and go up high enough to get an inflated one on.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
22 Feb 2012 16:16 #34023 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
I've never used my jack either but all cars have the same problem. Its a flaw of a scissor jack, when its low you drag your knuckles on the ground trying to get enough pull on it and then when its higher its too close to the car! I can't see why they didn't design it with a ratchet of some sort. Anyway they're just an emergency tool i've got a trolley jack for use at home but will be getting a pair of bottle jacks shortly.
I can't see those waffles working either, the proper hi-lift ones are solid i thought and attach to the jack?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 07:32 - 23 Feb 2012 07:34 #34059 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.

facade wrote: How do they work?
Seems mostly holes to me, you want a solid board to give a large surface area.

Are you supposed to wrap them with something?
Or do they just sink in and keep the jack level?

I have a RangeRover jack too. They are perfect, have a curved top to locate under the axle tube and a 2 stage lifting ram so they go down small enough for a flat tyre and go up high enough to get an inflated one on.

They only sink into the gound if its very muddy otherwise they spread the load of the jack over a greater surface area the hi lift stand is great but over £45 and would still sink into mud
we have a pair of 4 ft long ones we use under the wheels if stuck in gloop and too far away from a tree to winch
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 07:34 by darthloachie.

More
23 Feb 2012 08:40 #34063 by andyw
Replied by andyw on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
Wandering star,

Where are you putting the scissor jack, If your using on the arms it should be long enough, the arms have a small round disc on the casting that the hole in the top plate of the jack mates to. It's not ment to go under axle If your using it there mate.

Andy

• wanderinstar
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2012 12:09 #34072 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Standard Jack Handle.
Hi Andy,
I tried under the sills when I first got it. Then when I obtained a handbook. I realised that I was supposed to jack up using the "pips" on the suspension arms. Thanks anyway.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds