BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

K14C in 99 G-Series Swap

More
11 Dec 2022 13:52 #246300 by Abort Abort
New to Jimnys. Wanted Suzuki to drop the K14C into the JB74, but still hasn't happened. Instead picked up a very cheap G series with G16B swap. Motor has seized. 

Problem is G13BB and G16B in Australia are silly expensive and bloody hard to find. Plus they are all old, tired, high kms lumps and I'm not entirely convinced that they run properly with the 'easy swap'. 

For considerably less I can get a very very low mileage K14C with all the ancillaries. 

Now I know it's somewhat possible to get an M series engine and mate it to an R7ME and that will get you a reasonable way there to an M series swap. Liana M18As are nearly as bad as G16Bs to find. M16As and M15As are easier. But at the same time I'll need a fair bit of custom work plus a dedicated ECU anyway. Plus the R7ME goes for a packet too because it is desirable for VVT owners. So this route doesn't seem much cheaper than the K14C swap, potentially. 

So for a K14C swap I'm seeing that I'll need:

- custom engine mounts- Custom bell housing adaption 
- Custom fly wheel 
- Pipe work for cooling system- Sump and oil pickup (K15B may or may not work)
- Fan for cooling- Stand alone ECU and wiring up as well as creating a custom map (some may become available) 

Is there anything else I am not thinking about that I should be? The K14C swap is definitely sounding more appealing than wasting more money on tired old G16Bs. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2022 13:56 #246301 by Abort Abort
I'll also just add how much I see people doing M swaps and then turbo kits and the costs involved there. The K14C seems like a prime candidate for a bit more work and money on getting it in, but potentially a better all round package.

More
11 Dec 2022 14:15 #246302 by Old Neil

Abort Abort wrote: I'll also just add how much I see people doing M swaps and then turbo kits and the costs involved there. The K14C seems like a prime candidate for a bit more work and money on getting it in, but potentially a better all round package.

Hi,what you are proposing is extremely difficult, hope you have a wealth of mechanical skills, haven't heard of anyone grafting a K14 to early jimny
Which side of Australia are you, I'm in the west
Why can't you re build your seized motor
Be interesting how it works out

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abort Abort

More
11 Dec 2022 14:31 #246303 by Abort Abort
I think I do ok in that department. No I haven’t heard of anyone doing it either, I did search a lot.

Thing is an M series swap into a G series like this is really no more straightforward. People have done J20As as well and all sorts of other things. In that context this doesn’t seem all that bad. It’s just there’s not much existing information on it.

I’m in the West too.

I can rebuild it, that’s a distinct possibility. The cost of a rebuild is fairly pricey too and then I still end up with a rebuilt G16B which may crack its block or head etc. I’m not completely set on this path, but it feels like the extra cost might be worth it. Spending on making it compatible with Suzuki’s latest series of engines also means many years of viable donor engines in the future.

More
11 Dec 2022 17:46 #246307 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic K14C in 99 G-Series Swap
The M series engines mate to R72 gearboxes, as that combination was fitted to 2000-2004 models. I believe the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the G?
Aside from the ECU, going to an M series is a very straight forward swap and every part you need is available off the shelf.
If you're certain you want to deviate from what's easy then why stick with Suzuki engines? There are loads of other engines that would work great and be no more work to install than the K14C

More
11 Dec 2022 22:47 #246311 by Old Neil

Abort Abort wrote: I think I do ok in that department. No I haven’t heard of anyone doing it either, I did search a lot.

Thing is an M series swap into a G series like this is really no more straightforward. People have done J20As as well and all sorts of other things. In that context this doesn’t seem all that bad. It’s just there’s not much existing information on it.

I’m in the West too.

I can rebuild it, that’s a distinct possibility. The cost of a rebuild is fairly pricey too and then I still end up with a rebuilt G16B which may crack its block or head etc. I’m not completely set on this path, but it feels like the extra cost might be worth it. Spending on making it compatible with Suzuki’s latest series of engines also means many years of viable donor engines in the future.

Go have a chat with Steph at suzishop Beckenham

More
11 Dec 2022 23:52 #246312 by Abort Abort

The M series engines mate to R72 gearboxes, as that combination was fitted to 2000-2004 models. I believe the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the G?
Aside from the ECU, going to an M series is a very straight forward swap and every part you need is available off the shelf.
If you're certain you want to deviate from what's easy then why stick with Suzuki engines? There are loads of other engines that would work great and be no more work to install than the K14C

Yes, the R7ME bolts up AFAIK. I'm making a guess because info is a bit scarce but I believe things like engine mounts from that series should also work. However I think you do have to do a fair bit of modification to the gearbox setup to make it work due to other differences beyond the bolt pattern. I believe it's a hydraulic clutch vs a cable, but happy to hear from anyone who has done it. 

Other things may be easier with an M swap, but they are fairly minor. It will still be a stand alone ECU, or get the factory loom / ECU and deal with all the shenanigans there. Then the M18A is still hard to find which leaves really only the M16A. 

So at the moment an M swap is a possibility, but doesn't seem like a huge saving of effort or cost over the K14C, but that engine is newer with less kms and quite a bit more torque. Plus it's newer, with far less kms. 

As for doing other swaps: It is something I've definitely thought about. There are a few popular engines that are well known for running stand alone that could be great. Honda K20 for example. But I don't need all that in a tiny Jimny and because of their desirability for their purposes, they end up being more expensive and a lot more kms. Plus the K14C is very compact. It is designed for this size of vehicle whereas the K20 is really more for something bigger and while they've been shoehorned into all sorts of things, I think the K14C is better for for purpose. 

Saying that, if you've got other suggestions that are maybe a bit more well documented in happy to listen. 

I'll keep investigating the M swap as it would work well IF the stars align for all the right bits. 

More
12 Dec 2022 00:07 #246313 by Old Neil

Abort Abort wrote:

Yes, the R7ME bolts up AFAIK. I'm making a guess because info is a bit scarce but I believe things like engine mounts from that series should also work. However I think you do have to do a fair bit of modification to the gearbox setup to make it work due to other differences beyond the bolt pattern. I believe it's a hydraulic clutch vs a cable, but happy to hear from anyone who has done it. 

Other things may be easier with an M swap, but they are fairly minor. It will still be a stand alone ECU, or get the factory loom / ECU and deal with all the shenanigans there. Then the M18A is still hard to find which leaves really only the M16A. 

So at the moment an M swap is a possibility, but doesn't seem like a huge saving of effort or cost over the K14C, but that engine is newer with less kms and quite a bit more torque. Plus it's newer, with far less kms. 

As for doing other swaps: It is something I've definitely thought about. There are a few popular engines that are well known for running stand alone that could be great. Honda K20 for example. But I don't need all that in a tiny Jimny and because of their desirability for their purposes, they end up being more expensive and a lot more kms. Plus the K14C is very compact. It is designed for this size of vehicle whereas the K20 is really more for something bigger and while they've been shoehorned into all sorts of things, I think the K14C is better for for purpose. 

Saying that, if you've got other suggestions that are maybe a bit more well documented in happy to listen. 

I'll keep investigating the M swap as it would work well IF the stars align for all the right bits. 

I wish you all the best in your project, be interested to see how it works out, take lots of photos

More
12 Dec 2022 07:09 #246316 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic K14C in 99 G-Series Swap
Sorry, I'm getting my gearbox codes mixed up. I meant R7ME, as used in all manual Jimnys up until 2005. Basically the M series will bolt up to your existing gearbox.  What gearbox do you plan on using with the K14C?

I've done a couple of M16 swaps and it's a good engine, well suited to the Jimny. Noticeably more power than standard and tows well. Better than the G16. The Jimny drivetrain isn't built for lots of torque so be wary that you may come into other issues.

Re. other engines, do you have any Fords with the 2.0 Duratec over there? It's a great engine, 150hp and lighter than the M series. It's used in lots of engine swaps here, easily tuned to over 200hp and they are cheap.

I spent a year in WA, working on farms in Williams, Katanning, Carnamah, Carnarvon. Regular trips to the Ocean Beach Hotel. Good times.

More
12 Dec 2022 07:34 #246317 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic K14C in 99 G-Series Swap
The M and G has different bolt patterns at the bell housing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
12 Dec 2022 14:34 - 12 Dec 2022 14:54 #246323 by Abort Abort

Sorry, I'm getting my gearbox codes mixed up. I meant R7ME, as used in all manual Jimnys up until 2005. Basically the M series will bolt up to your existing gearbox.  What gearbox do you plan on using with the K14C?

I've done a couple of M16 swaps and it's a good engine, well suited to the Jimny. Noticeably more power than standard and tows well. Better than the G16. The Jimny drivetrain isn't built for lots of torque so be wary that you may come into other issues.

Re. other engines, do you have any Fords with the 2.0 Duratec over there? It's a great engine, 150hp and lighter than the M series. It's used in lots of engine swaps here, easily tuned to over 200hp and they are cheap.

I spent a year in WA, working on farms in Williams, Katanning, Carnamah, Carnarvon. Regular trips to the Ocean Beach Hotel. Good times.
Yeah the R7ME is in the 2000-2005 with the non-VVT M13a. Mine being a G series won't bolt up. I can acquire an R7ME, but I believe it is a bit of a faff to get them working (it's not AFAIK a straight bolt in). Assuming I was doing this swap I would look at fabricating an adapter plate and get a custom flywheel made up and use the existing G series box (which I believe is more robust than the later gearboxes if I'm not mistaken?). 

The other possibility is swapping in a JB74 K series gearbox. That should in theory mate up to the engine without much drama. Getting it to mate up with the rest of the car on the other hand might be more difficult than using the original box. 

I've seen a lot of references to the Duratec on here as a swap option as it seems they are quite ubiquitous in the UK. I do think we have them here in a number of focuses (they were the Focus 2.0 for a couple of generations right?). I mean if there are kits I'd be happy to look at one of those for sure. Especially if they are lighter. I'm not looking at this mostly for power, but availability and to a degree reliability. The K14C is easy as to find here with almost no use because nobody needs to replace them (yet). I had one in a Vitara Turbo for a few years and its an absolutely fabulous engine. 

Haha OBH days! 
Last edit: 12 Dec 2022 14:54 by Abort Abort.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds