BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Jimny 3 Boot Storage - inspiration please!

• AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2020 14:42 #219243 by AngusChap
I’m using our Jimny as a bit of a quad / gator / mule substitute on our shoot and I’m looking for inspiration for maximising l boot storage.

I’ve currently got a Jimny boot liner over the top of the back seats and whilst it’s handy, feed bags, tool boxes and dogs tend to slide about a bit!

My plan is to build a custom storage set up out of plywood with high sides so I can pack things in a bit better and know they’re secure. I’ve had a look on the forum and seen bits and bobs but no specific thread about it so I thought I would see if anyone had done anything similar so I can pinch good ideas!

I’m happy to take out the back seats or leave them in, doesn’t make much odds either way. Thoughts and photos much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2020 17:15 #219250 by gusthegorilla
This is mine....acres of room !!

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
Attachments:

More
01 Mar 2020 19:21 #219257 by Scimike
I have also removed the rear seats and have similar to Chris above.
Having made the change I believe that if you have no need for the rear seats take them out, they do nothing but occupy valuable space, even when folded down in the G3.
With them removed you can go for a single load area or a multi layer area, keeping the stay in car bits hidden. Anything is possible and a bit of carpet or covering and it looks professional.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2020 21:11 - 01 Mar 2020 21:12 #219259 by AngusChap
Replied by AngusChap on topic Jimny 3 Boot Storage - inspiration please!
Looks like the back seats are coming out then!

I’m looking to make more of a partitioned container than just a flat loading area but it’s definitely good to see how it looks without the back seats in. Definitely opens it up a fair bit more.

Will have a play once the back seats are out and share some photos of the eventual set up
Last edit: 01 Mar 2020 21:12 by AngusChap.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2020 05:40 #219267 by Lambert
Keep an eye on what you make your deck out of. Mine is in 6mm plywood with sides and a bulkhead and it struggles to weigh 10kg which is good as it means more freight can go in the back without overloading the gvm. It's still plenty strong as the spans between support are small and the sides prevent too much flex and warp. I could have done it in 12 or 15mm but it would have been massively heavy and reduced the cargo capacity.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Mar 2020 08:08 #219270 by gusthegorilla
Lambert...if your Jimny were the size of an aircraft carrier, the difference in weight, and volume, might be relevant....
With the seats removed, the Jimmy's load space measures 100 x 118 mm max...
I built my very first one out of 6mm, and over time it warped and looked shabby....10mm exterior ply I found infinitely superior, and the difference in weight and volume is miniscule...
....just saying...!!!!

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Mar 2020 09:18 #219273 by Lambert
Kinda but every kilogram helps. With the advent of the armour under Dreadnaught the interior was rationalized by a commensurate weight to keep the weight under control. If it isn't vital for every day operation of and with the vehicle it doesn't live in the car. More lighter more better!

• AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2020 21:52 #219301 by AngusChap
That’s worth considering, thanks. Have you got a photo at all?

I removed the interior plastic side panel this evening so I could wire up the tow bar and I think I might take out the other one to give me more space and just build a shelf over the wheel arch. I’ll share photos of my plan once it’s underway if you think it’d be of interest

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2020 06:01 #219307 by Lambert
I'll try and remember when I go for breakfast.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2020 09:54 #219314 by Lambert
Here you go.

Also if you replace the back door plastic with a flat panel of hardboard you gain an extra 50mm plus front to back.

Attachments:

More
  • AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2020 13:54 #219324 by AngusChap
Yeah, that’s pretty well along the lines of what I’m looking to do. Will have a bit of a measure up tonight and have a think about layout etc. Thanks again, much appreciated

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds