BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Jimny-Fox build

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2016 10:54 #172679 by Paul_sterling
Jimny-Fox build was created by Paul_sterling
Hi Gents,

at this stage I must stress I am only at the planning point, and I value input from you guys on the idea.

In a nutshell, I have quite a liking for the Fox engine, also known as the Ford 1.0 Litre 3 cylinder Ecoboost engine. Nifco developed some of the parts on it, and we also have one in the Focus Pool car, which most of us find a delight to drive. of note is the engines bottom end torque, for a petrol it is very surprising and effective, and pulls well from low revs without hesitation. its also very free revving, and smooth right up to 6500rpm.

As it is a light and compact engine I have thought it an ideal lump for the Jimny, so I am fancying to build one. I'm not searching for a vast amount more power, in fact even the 100bhp rating will be a sizeable improvement, its the mass of torque the engine has over the Jimny that appeals, and its smoothness at cruising revs, with the Focus, you can be forgiven for thinking you are in 6th at 2000rpm, when in fact you are in 4th pulling 3750, it is that smooth and quiet.

the stumbling block was the transmission, as the 1.0 litre goes into front wheel drive cars, but upon checking various engineering drawings, we've found that the Type 9, as fitted to the Kent powered Sierra, bolts straight onto the ecoboost engine, giving me a credible drive-train to connect to the Jimny transfer box.

A friend has said box for me, so that side of things is in hand.

There are a number of issues to work out before even considering purchasing either engine or another Jimny, mostly around the following
  • Mounting the engine
  • Wiring Loom
  • ECU either a ford one, or a kit car one
  • Drivetrain position
  • everything else

any thoughts on the idea?

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2016 11:46 #172682 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny-Fox build
Great project!

I doubt you'll have any luck using a ford ECU unless the engine uses a separate ECU to the rest of the car. Even so, you will probably have issues with the immobiliser system.

A better solution would be a custom programmable ECU, the simplest and cheapest of which is the Megasquirt (as Keithy has used on his turbo project) but there are a myriad of systems available. As it is a very modern engine you need to know what extra systems need controlling beyond the normal fuelling, ignition and boost.

The only issue I can see with the mounting side of things is gearstick positioning. You will need custom engine mounts, but that's simple in the Jimny as you have the massive chassis rails to bolt/weld onto.

You may need to modify a few other things like the inlet and exhaust manifolds and the sump.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul_sterling

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2016 09:22 #173471 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Jimny-Fox build

Busta wrote: Great project!

I doubt you'll have any luck using a ford ECU unless the engine uses a separate ECU to the rest of the car. Even so, you will probably have issues with the immobiliser system.

A better solution would be a custom programmable ECU, the simplest and cheapest of which is the Megasquirt (as Keithy has used on his turbo project) but there are a myriad of systems available. As it is a very modern engine you need to know what extra systems need controlling beyond the normal fuelling, ignition and boost.

The only issue I can see with the mounting side of things is gearstick positioning. You will need custom engine mounts, but that's simple in the Jimny as you have the massive chassis rails to bolt/weld onto.

You may need to modify a few other things like the inlet and exhaust manifolds and the sump.

Good luck!

Thanks Busta.
I have used Powertorque for the ECU we used on the 2.0ecoboost on the engine Dyno, and we're impressed. its around £1000, but factoring in the cost of the Megasquirt, and the likely cost to Keith for mapping the engine on a rolling road makes me think the outright cost of the two are about the same.

gear position should work out roughly the same, but a customised gear lever will account for any mis-position ha. to be honest, i've always had a peverse liking for the raked back gear lever on the early 4 speed range rovers, where the gear lever came out of the tunnel effectively under the dash!

Paul.

More
13 Oct 2016 10:50 #173475 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Jimny-Fox build
Great idea....not as heavy as a 4cyl diseasel....still heavy though....not too much though :D

Did they put the ohv Kent series into the Sierra....Pinto/CVH? anyhoo.....get on with it! ;-)

Check the ratio's on the type9 will suit your needs Paul

Oh and as and when.....pictures :B):

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2016 11:18 #173477 by Paul_sterling

Keithy wrote: Great idea....not as heavy as a 4cyl diseasel....still heavy though....not too much though :D

Did they put the ohv Kent series into the Sierra....Pinto/CVH? anyhoo.....get on with it! ;-)

Check the ratio's on the type9 will suit your needs Paul

Oh and as and when.....pictures :B):

Hi Keith,

its the 1.0 ecoboost i'm planning for, as it fits straight onto the type 9, extremely light engine, and compact, in both cases more so than the G13 engine.

Ratios on this one should be okay as its out of a passenger car rather than P100 (but p100 only had a lower first gear anyway) will need to check what ratio diff the sierra ran. I believe they did put the kent into the Sierra, but to that matter, even if they didn't, the pattern on the gearbox and that of the Kent suggests that they could have.

No pics yet, as I don't even have a car for the project, certainly not using the 2015 Jimny lol. work will start once I'm satisfied with all of the research, I have a gearbox, but would need the engine, the car, and the ECU. Plus I have a 1967 series 2a 109" land rover to restore first, and even that might be getting a different engine in (probably an M51 out of a P38A Range Rover, it currently has a 200TDI under the bonnet).

Paul.

More
13 Oct 2016 20:14 #173513 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Jimny-Fox build
Ahhh 3cyl petrol.....turbo?

I put an essex into a p100 30 years ago.....convinced the boss it was the best thing to do.....I ruined that pick-up! :D

3 pots means plenty of scope to move the engine/box around where you like.

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2016 20:28 #173516 by Paul_sterling

Keithy wrote: Ahhh 3cyl petrol.....turbo?

the very one Keith. not looking for vast HP, the 100hp cal will be more than enough, its the bottom end torque of the 1.0Ecoboost thats the real plus, it has over double the torque of the Jimny engine, its also a very smooth and free revving engine.

Paul.

More
16 Oct 2016 05:54 #173593 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny-Fox build
You need to think how you are going to get the props to work from the gearbox to the transfer box too. I'm thinking that the Type 9 is much longer than the Jimny box so may bump into the transfer box.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Paul_sterling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2016 08:38 #173598 by Paul_sterling

kirkynut wrote: You need to think how you are going to get the props to work from the gearbox to the transfer box too. I'm thinking that the Type 9 is much longer than the Jimny box so may bump into the transfer box.

Kirkynut

thanks Kirkynut,

should be able to measure before commiting to any metal cutting. After that a custom made and balanced prop with the correct flanges on each end should make connection straghtforward.

cheers
Paul.

• jamie_300
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2016 08:56 - 16 Oct 2016 08:58 #173600 by jamie_300
Replied by jamie_300 on topic Jimny-Fox build
Since working at Citroen I was really impressed with their Puretech 1.2 engine in all its forms: 82 n/a 110 &130 turbo. Since having a Jimny I thought a three cylinder engine would be perfect for one, but that is far as I got: thinking what a good idea it would be. Three cylinder is definitely the future, I quite the "rough" exhaust note as well!
Last edit: 16 Oct 2016 08:58 by jamie_300.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds