BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Project Sink or Swim

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2015 21:10 - 02 Dec 2015 23:40 #157748 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Project Sink or Swim
Starting to see some progress at last! Its amazing what some wheels do to boost your morale on a build! Loads to do yet on the axles, like the free wheeling hubs and rear disc brake conversion.

Next stage is some of the interior like the heater matrix and hoses etc

Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 23:40 by ZukracerV6.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2015 22:01 #157753 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Project Sink or Swim
Excellent looking really good I bet it was good to see the wheels on it, the colour is great :)

• V-350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2016 19:21 - 11 Jan 2016 19:22 #160164 by V-350
Replied by V-350 on topic Project Sink or Swim
Hi All,

Unfortunately I do not have a Jimny or 4x4 (yet), ..... BUT, I would like to see some more pictures of this Dutton build, please. Is that possible?
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 19:22 by V-350.

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2016 22:56 #160379 by ZukracerV6
Progress is slow! The donor Jimny lives outside and due too the rather inclement weather I need an amphibous 4x4 just to get to it! I wish I had put the donor Jimny inside as finding time and dry weather to strip it has been hard work!

Plus for some reason all the email notifications from BigJimny keeping ending up in my junk email! So I keep missing replies and personal messages!

Tackled the hardest job so far, removing the dashboard for the donor! It's took a couple of hours, a little bit of swearing and the removal of lots of bolts and unplugging of wires! It's amazing how much room a Jimny has with the seats, dashboard and steering wheel removed!

Photos to follow once the site is up and running

• V-350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jan 2016 20:36 #160497 by V-350
Thank you! Hope you are not flooded after the massive rainfall in the UK/Wales.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2016 11:16 #164337 by Daniel30
How are you getting on with your build will you be ready to set sail this summer ;)

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 10:24 #164418 by ZukracerV6
Things are moving again! I have been computer less the last few months and trying to upload posts and photos via the phone is hard work!

The engine is fitted along with the radiator, cooling lines, heat exchangers (oil and water). I have had to modify a few parts in order to fit the air conditioning system to the project.

Remote oil filter adapter fitted with lines, that go to the heat exchanger and oil cooler. The engine and gear box fit in the hull as complete unit. Although the clutch has a low milage I have fitted a new clutch and throw out bearing.

Engine being lowered into hull

In order to get the engine into the hull, I have had to modify and extend the engine hoist to get the reach! The tyre acts as a counter balance!

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 10:34 #164419 by ZukracerV6
Engine in place

Oil and engine coolant connections to the heat exchanger that is mounted underneath the hull

Engine oil cooler and fan in new modified position (normally sits in front of radiator)

All radiators and fans in position

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 11:26 #164424 by Daniel30
Brilliant looking really good

• V-350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2016 16:30 #164447 by V-350
Thank you!! Hope to see more pictures of the build - if possible!

There is this website of Hans Rosloot
www.amphibiousvehicle.net/myamphib/calm-...r/calm-water-04.html
He bought a 2nd hand (low milage, factory build) Mariner and found a lot of things wrong with it.

For instance on the hoses for the cooling.
www.amphibiousvehicle.net/myamphib/high-...r/high-water-02.html
"The old hose reads hydro 16 bar that is a water hose, a hydraulic hose has 200 bar written on it side.
If I try to bend them sharp they will crack. The new one reads Petrol - Oil 25 bar and it is nice soft rubber that will easily bend. I DO NOT HAVE 40 years experience in building cars, but this I know:
Oil and cheap hoses do not go together".

You should go through the lot of the pages to prevent the same problems as on his car.

• V-350
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2016 19:24 #167531 by V-350
Any chance for an update? Pictures?

• ZukracerV6
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2016 18:09 #169399 by ZukracerV6
A few updates! I have had the last week of work and have managed to be able to spend a good for quality hours working on the project this week!

The pedal box, accelerator and all cables have been fitted, along with the remote oil cooler and lines. I have also fitted the exsaust system, man that was hard work! The manifold and cat have been modiefied to all fit in the engine bay and space is very tight! I have also spent a lot of time insulating all of the engine bay and manifold.

The rear prop is also fitted (pics to follow) which was a real pain, as the access to the bolts attaching the prop to the transfer case is via the prop tunnel under the hull. Everything is hard work access wise due to the hull!

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds