BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My Zuki, James

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 19:36 - 21 May 2015 19:57 #144588 by Lozi
My Zuki, James was created by Lozi
I bought this jimny to get back into laning and didn't intend to do much to it, long story short that idea has gone out of the window as usual so I thought I would start a project thread.

Typically with past car projects I buy all the bits I need then get bored, the car gets sold followed by all the parts. I still have a lot of the parts from my vento vr6 project I got bored of last year lol

I call my jimny James as it's like jim but sounds posher which amused me for some reason lol

I will start by copying my posts from the my jimny section then start on what's been happening after that.

After selling my pajero a few years back in the spur of the moment to buy a mk2 fiesta I saw (that's how I work) I have spent the last few years wishing I still had a 4x4, I have owned a few cars since then but have always been tempted to get another off-roader and since buying a brand new Fiesta ST last year I sold my van to replace it with something more fun.

I looked at pajeros, fourtraks, patrols, 90's, land cruisers etc as I like big diesel 4x4's but somehow after many months of searching and indecisiveness have ended up with this lol

2000 Suzuki Jimny JLX with the earlier (crapper apparently) 1.3 16v SOHC engine

Here are the only pics I currently have of it with the awesome hubcaps still fitted

The first day I had it I decided to go to a local lane to see if the 4wd was working, long story short it wasn't so I got stuck lol

First little bit of mud on it lol

Then the next day I woke up to this

Which was due to the valve leaking so it most probably took a knock off-roading, luckily the spare has a locking wheel nut which I don't have a key for so my first few days of jimny ownership have looked like this

Here's a few pics of my jimny laning in Leicestershire today with my hand winch getting us out of trouble it worked a treat.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Here's an update on my jimny

I fitted a square front plate and debadged grill today which I think makes it look a lot better.

Unfortunately removing the old plate left these ugly brackets so I got the grinder out and removed them

File Attachment:

So now the front looks like this

File Attachment:

I'm debating getting a couple LED spot lamps or a small LED bar to mount on the A bar but I can't decide.

I also removed the side steps and it now has AVM manual hubs

File Attachment:

I have also collected a few bits which should really transform it when I actually get round to getting it all fitted.

215/80/15 Black Star Guyane tyres

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

2" lift springs from vitmods

File Attachment:

+2 Pro Comp ES1000 shocks

File Attachment:

2" body lift from jimnybits

File Attachment:

Steering spacers and extended brake hose from jimnybits

File Attachment:

HD rear recovery points from jimnybits

File Attachment:

There are a couple more things still to arrive before I can get on with it but it's going to be a vast improvement

At this point I had spent a lot more than I intended to but it didn't stop there
Last edit: 21 May 2015 19:57 by Lozi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 19:53 - 21 May 2015 19:55 #144590 by Lozi
Replied by Lozi on topic My Zuki, James
Now for more bits I have been buying for it

I sent back the vitmods springs and ordered these 2" springs from jimnybits

File Attachment:

After much searching around for steels as jimnybits were out of stock of what I wanted I got a message from Russ saying he had some coming back and did I want them so I jumped straight on them, 15x8 black -30 offset.

He said that they were from different batches so the 2 pairs looked a little different but that didn't bother me, on inspection after I received them it would appear that the centres are just welded in the other way round on 2 which I think will give it a bit of a staggered look to them even though they measure up the same offset wise.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Rock lobster transfer box and fitting kit from Redacted

File Attachment:

I went and collected the transfer box and he is a very helpful knowledgable guy.

I took the cradle unblasted so I could do my thing with it

File Attachment:

So I grit blasted it

File Attachment:

Then Keyphos coated it followed by a couple coats of Xylan 1088 on top

File Attachment:

Bitsforvits had an offer on their last remaining safari snorkel, I couldn't resist so I got it ordered

File Attachment:

I will be fitting my (very rare) rainbow cloth cossie recaros in it, I have had these many years and fitted them to a few of my previous cars

File Attachment:

And that's where I'm at with a huge pile of bits none of which fitted, I need to make sure I actually see this one through so I plan to try and get most if it fitted this weekend. Unfortunately the SJ props I bought off somebody on Sunday only got posted out yesterday which means I won't be able to fit the rock lobster which is pretty annoying!
Last edit: 21 May 2015 19:55 by Lozi.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 20:09 #144594 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic My Zuki, James
How wierd is that I've had my modulars a while now and when I ordered them from jimnybits I got the same as you but no one mentioned they had sent me different batches anyway the bloke that fitted them put what looks like the deeper offset on the back and the others on the front and it looks good!! :woohoo:

You have a whole load if nice stuff and the seats well they are nice with a capital N!!! :whistle:

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 20:15 #144596 by Lozi

Daniel30 wrote: How wierd is that I've had my modulars a while now and when I ordered them from jimnybits I got the same as you but no one mentioned they had sent me different batches anyway the bloke that fitted them put what looks like the deeper offset on the back and the others on the front and it looks good!! :woohoo:

You have a whole load if nice stuff and the seats well they are nice with a capital N!!! :whistle:

Brilliant! I actually think the ones that are backwards look a lot better it's wierd how much deeper they look but they are in fact not deeper at all!

They are nice seats but after being in my pajero then my van they are abit worse for wear now

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 20:37 #144599 by Daniel30
Yeah I kept looking down the side of the jimny to check :lol:

They look good / old school, how about a referb or is that expensive?

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 20:44 #144604 by Lozi

Daniel30 wrote: Yeah I kept looking down the side of the jimny to check :lol:

They look good / old school, how about a referb or is that expensive?

There's no chance I will be able to find the material to re cover them apparently less than 50 sapphire cosworths left the factory with these seats my old cossie had leather, I cut up the back seat when we took them out of the car they came with so I have a little fabric but not enough.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2015 22:21 #144609 by Daniel30
Oh my word what a shame, can't wait to see them in and the rest of the parts fitted

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2015 00:13 #144723 by Lozi
Started work on getting everything fitted today

Loaded up the jimny with the wheels and tyres and went and got my brother in law to fit them

They all just fitted in

File Attachment:

The strange and quite funny sticker on the tyres

File Attachment:

After fitting the tyres he fitted the wheels to see if I could drive home on them with no lift, long story short there was no chance there was pretty much no clearance for steering lol

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Got home and fitted the rear shocks and springs

File Attachment:

Then the fronts

File Attachment:

Then we worked till late to get the body lift on, the spacers are all in just need to finish all the other little bits like brake hoses in the morning

File Attachment:

• the_goshawker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2015 11:53 #144737 by the_goshawker
Replied by the_goshawker on topic My Zuki, James
Looking good :)

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2015 15:03 #144750 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic My Zuki, James
Hi,have you still got the sidesteps and if so would you like to sell them,
Cheers :) :laugh: :)

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2015 00:58 #144765 by Lozi

the_goshawker wrote: Looking good :)

Thanks

wombat wrote: Hi,have you still got the sidesteps and if so would you like to sell them,
Cheers :) :laugh: :)

I still have them and would sell then but one of the end caps are missing, would take an offer if your still interested

• Lozi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2015 18:21 #144798 by Lozi
Finished of fitting the main bits yesterday and took it out last night for a quick test and did a load of lanes today. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome but I think I will be a lot better once the rock lobster is fitted.

4" lift with standard wheels

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Jimnybits extended braided brake lines fitted front and rear

File Attachment:

Jimnybits steering spacers fitted, this was an absolute bugger of a job and personally I think they could do with being a little shorter

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Front wheels fitted

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Then all 4

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

A few pics of it put and about getting muddy, I flexed it up to check clearance and the rear seems ok but the front does catch. I trimmed the front number so that's fine it just catches the plastic arch on the rear of the front arch. It must have nudged it back abit through rubbing as now the door catches the wing when you open it which is very annoying.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Just got to fit the snorkel, rock lobster and recaros now and a little more trimming then I will be happy!

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds