BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Upgrading axles

• Busterwood
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2015 06:50 #142814 by Busterwood
Upgrading axles was created by Busterwood
I'm looking into upgrading the jimny axles or even changing to axles with stronger internals without spending thousands, interested to see what anybody else has done on a reasonable budget or any suggestions from anybody who may know of good setups
Thanks in advanced

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2015 12:22 #142832 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Upgrading axles
There's external trusses available from JimnyBits to brace the axle up a bit...

I've got Rob Storr's 26 spline thicker front shafts and huge CVs in the front of mine -

New 'v' Old

And the all important 26 splines 'v' 22...

And bigger CVs, hence the need for the little square spacer plates...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busterwood

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2015 16:38 - 20 Apr 2015 16:45 #142839 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Upgrading axles
First.
There's no question the RS HD shafts and CVs are stronger than the standard Jimny ones and at a decent price.

But with that said. The number of splines says nothing about their strength. RS could easily have made them 22 splines with the same strength. I mean, how many of you have even broken a shaft at the diff end?

RCV Performance are in the process of making 22 splines HD shafts and CVs for the Jimny. And a direct fit without need for spacers and swapping for 26 splines side-gears in the front diff. They also come with a 5 year warranty up to 31" tyres. Exact price is not yet known, but expect around £600. I hope they'll show up with 2-3 weeks time :)
Last edit: 20 Apr 2015 16:45 by TomDK.

• Busterwood
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2015 19:42 #142852 by Busterwood
Replied by Busterwood on topic Upgrading axles
Both look good options il look into both, anybody out there know much about changing to different axles on a budget?

More
20 Apr 2015 20:26 #142865 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Upgrading axles
Pretty big job and axles worth putting in are not cheep. The sentence axle change and budget don't go together

JIMNYLESS

• Nicks_Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2015 21:10 #142868 by Nicks_Jim
Replied by Nicks_Jim on topic Upgrading axles

MysticRich wrote: Along with dave I'm running the rob storr kit and have been for around a year with no issues on 32" tyres
I think I paid around £500 delivered and as dave has said everything is bigger and heavier duty but you carnt tell too well in the photos but can when you can actually compare them.
When I ordered my from rob storr they said they should be ok for up 35" tyres but I know at 32" even if the axles would take wheels that size a jimny wouldn't without removing nearly all the body.

+1
and i have sheared off my rear half shafts, spline ends, first the spline twists then break off. it properly don't help with 33" tyres and a rear locker

• Jimny J
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2015 23:03 #142928 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic Upgrading axles
From what ive read, I think the cheapest and simplest upgrade would be sj axles with either 1in spacers or different offset wheels. Just grind off old leaf seats and weld on the jimny tabs. Cant remember if you need sj props tho. Been told by a few fellow sj and jim owners that their standard sj axles will happily run up too 35s too.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2015 05:27 #142931 by TomDK
Don't believe everything you hear. SJ axles are about the same strength as Jimny. Perhaps slightly stronger CVs but nothing serious.

If you want 35" tyres on a Jimny, you need HD axle internals. Unless of course it's just for the looks.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2015 16:50 #142963 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Upgrading axles
Selling my axles if your interested. Want £1400 for both. ☺

More
22 Apr 2015 20:38 #142978 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Upgrading axles
I think there's a few advantages to Samurai axles.

You can get uprated internals for both axles a great deal easier and they are proven parts.

The front axle swivel seal is actually a seal and not an excuse for one!

Front wheel bearings don't require a press to change.

In fact if I could but a Sammy today with a carb that worked at all angles, proper inertia rear seat belts and a hard top with no rust, I would in a heart beat.

It would get lifted on Llama 4x4 Potty Lift Springs under the axle with a Rocklobster and the axles would be all singing and dancing with discs all round and an X Brake hand brake, super strong shafts and cv's.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2015 21:15 #142979 by TomDK

kirkynut wrote: I think there's a few advantages to Samurai axles.

You can get uprated internals for both axles a great deal easier and they are proven parts.

In fact if I could but a Sammy today with a carb that worked at all angles, proper inertia rear seat belts and a hard top with no rust, I would in a heart beat.

It would get lifted on Llama 4x4 Potty Lift Springs under the axle with a Rocklobster and the axles would be all singing and dancing with discs all round and an X Brake hand brake, super strong shafts and cv's.

Kirkynut

I did consider Samurai axles once, because as you say. Uprated internals are proven and cheaper than for the Jimny. But once you've gotten hands on a set of axles and cut and welded new brackets to fit the Jimny, and bought HD internals, the total cost is more than a set of RCV/ RS MFG HD shafts and CVs will be for the Jimny. And the RCV ones are a straight swap.

And why are the HD shafts and CVs for the Samurai easier to get than for the Jimny? You still need to import either from the US or from Italy.

As for the bearings. You do not need a press to change the bearings on a Jimny.

On top of it all, you need 5 cm wheel spacers for the Sammy axles as it's 5 cm's narrower than the Jimny axles.

More
23 Apr 2015 17:29 #143024 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Upgrading axles

TomDK wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I think there's a few advantages to Samurai axles.

Kirkynut

I did consider Samurai axles once, because as you say. Uprated internals are proven and cheaper than for the Jimny. But once you've gotten hands on a set of axles and cut and welded new brackets to fit the Jimny, and bought HD internals, the total cost is more than a set of RCV/ RS MFG HD shafts and CVs will be for the Jimny. And the RCV ones are a straight swap.

And why are the HD shafts and CVs for the Samurai easier to get than for the Jimny? You still need to import either from the US or from Italy.

As for the bearings. You do not need a press to change the bearings on a Jimny.

On top of it all, you need 5 cm wheel spacers for the Sammy axles as it's 5 cm's narrower than the Jimny axles.

So that's 25mm each side then Tom? No great issue. You can get wheels with a different offset of spacers or both.

Wheel bearings are easier to change even if you use your oven.

Sammy bits are cheaper as the manufacturers have probably made their R&D back after all these years so are not charging for it any more and the tooling has been about to manufacture them for much longer. New products need their tooling and R&D paying for if a profit is to be made on them.

The welding is an issue if you don't have someone you can trust to do a good safe job of attaching the brackets in the right place so they don't fall off and so they are equal with the right castor angles etc. I am lucky as I have a good friend who is a good fabricator.

To be honest though. I would not spend any more money on my Jimny other than maintenance as A) My interest has been waning for some time and B) My needs would be for a bigger vehicle if I were to spend money on an offroader / greenlaner now.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds