BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Tyre sidewall damage

More
20 Jun 2016 17:42 #168924 by mlines
Tyre sidewall damage was created by mlines
My son has low profile tyres on alloys on his Swift.

The tyres have a moulded "rim protector" around the circumferance of the wheel. It is a raised rubber section designed to help protect the alloy wheel.

He was forced into the kerb by an oncoming driver this morning and clipped the kerb. This has lifted a 1cm section of the tyre protector ring off the sidewall of the tyre. It is still attached but you can pass a flat screwdiver behind the rubber and out the other side (of the raised surface) a bit like a skin piercing.

As the side wall of the tyre is fine, its just a surface moulding that has lifted, I assume this is fine to continue in use/MOT test?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2016 18:03 #168926 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Tyre sidewall damage
Should be fine to use and mot. :)
If in doubt about mot, its superglue time. ;)

More
20 Jun 2016 18:20 #168929 by jackonlyjack

• Nicks_Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2016 19:04 #168932 by Nicks_Jim
Replied by Nicks_Jim on topic Tyre sidewall damage

mlines wrote: My son has low profile tyres on alloys on his Swift.

The tyres have a moulded "rim protector" around the circumferance of the wheel. It is a raised rubber section designed to help protect the alloy wheel.

He was forced into the kerb by an oncoming driver this morning and clipped the kerb. This has lifted a 1cm section of the tyre protector ring off the sidewall of the tyre. It is still attached but you can pass a flat screwdiver behind the rubber and out the other side (of the raised surface) a bit like a skin piercing.

As the side wall of the tyre is fine, its just a surface moulding that has lifted, I assume this is fine to continue in use/MOT test?

super glue works fine. used it many of times to get me out of trouble

More
20 Jun 2016 19:36 #168934 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Tyre sidewall damage
I've gone to use cars at work and found this in the past and taken the car to the workshop for them to give it the once over and they said it was fine. It's done its job effectively!

As long as there's no bulge etc, but you know what you're looking at Martin!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Jun 2016 19:39 - 20 Jun 2016 19:42 #168935 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Tyre sidewall damage
As long as there are no cords showing it's fine.
Assuming all the tyres are the same size you could swap it to the other side and put it on the rear so that the "flap" is facing backwords so shouldn't catch on anything??

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2016 19:42 by gilburton.

More
20 Jun 2016 20:11 #168938 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:RE: Tyre sidewall damage

kirkynut wrote: I've gone to use cars at work and found this in the past and taken the car to the workshop for them to give it the once over and they said it was fine. It's done its job effectively!

As long as there's no bulge etc, but you know what you're looking at Martin!

Kirkynut

It is literally the protection bead that has lifted in one spot, the standard sidewall is fine underneath with no bulge

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds