BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rusty hole under tool storage

• hairytoes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 14:36 #8749 by hairytoes
Rusty hole under tool storage was created by hairytoes
As I'm going to take my wheels off to paint them tomorrow, I checked the jack etc...

Theres a 2" rusty hole going through to more solid metal, with about a 2" space between the hole & the metal underneath.

It's just the metal that the jack sits on that is badly rusted.

Is this a problem for me?

I know Jimny's are meant to be bad for this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 14:38 #8750 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage
Mines the same, I noticed today when under the car by the exhaust and looked inside and it was just starting to show in the boot.
I was just going to get a mate to plate it when he does the bits under the bonnet just around where the grill sits when the bonnets down.... prob cost me a couple pints but worth it :)

• hairytoes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 14:41 #8751 by hairytoes
Replied by hairytoes on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage
Do you think it's a big deal though?

My Da's a welder, but I'm not taking the Jimny to Liverpool...Fook that!

No other rust that I can see.

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 14:50 - 03 Jan 2011 14:51 #8752 by bertbuckie
Not really, mines 12 years old lol, I expected a few bits and bobs to be rusted/broke :)
Just go see some small garage down a back street where an old, real mechanic works :) - Im sure they will sort you out cheaply :)

You could always ask your dad what type of price you should be looking at as well..... give a ruff idea ;)
Last edit: 03 Jan 2011 14:51 by bertbuckie.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 15:40 #8757 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage
Should be ok but the sooner its fixed the better!

More
03 Jan 2011 16:46 #8769 by kirkynut
Depending on how big the hole is, it's not a major issue. It's nowhere near the seatbelt mounts and no suspension parts are mounted on the body so if needs be the rust could be cut out and hole fibre glassed up with a home fibre glass kit.

If you get it plated, cut the rust out yourself of make it clear you want every bit of rust cut out so they don't just plate on top of the rust as a cheapy quick job or it'll keep eating away and you'll have wasted money.

I sometimes think the floor would be better flat, so you could cut out more of the floor and have a nice plate welded over the boot floor and seal it up nicely.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 16:56 #8771 by bertbuckie

kirkynut wrote:
If you get it plated, cut the rust out yourself of make it clear you want every bit of rust cut out so they don't just plate on top of the rust as a cheapy quick job or it'll keep eating away and you'll have wasted money.

Kirkynut

VERY sound advice, I neglected to mention this because when I get my mate to do it I will be supervising ( with a pint since he owns a pub ) the entire job lol
Rust is like cancer, if its not all removed it will just come back..... I also paint with rust to metal converter ( cant remember its right name ) after o n the edges just incase ;)

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 17:04 #8774 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage
Snap!

• hairytoes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 20:39 #8808 by hairytoes
Replied by hairytoes on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage

Keefe wrote: Snap!

Mines isn't quite that bad, I'll cut it all away tomorrow & make the hole bigger lol.

Is this 2nd picture - a picture of it fixed?

I can't see it being that much of an issue TBH, doesn't seem an important part of the car.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2011 22:18 #8818 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Rusty hole under tool storage
Yep, 2nd picture of it finished.
You'll notice there's no mounting holes for the rear seats. Not a problem as the seats aren't going back in.
In fact, they're in the local dumpit site.

:)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds