BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

100% Road Princess

More
20 May 2020 23:12 #222622 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 100% Road Princess
Having just changed the PAS and Alternator drive belts I noted the manual is quite specific about the required tension. It quotes a mm deflection range at a force of 10kg, something you just can't achieve without a special tool of some sort.
So I got bored and made one using the luggage scales (won't need it for some time) and some scrap steel tube and bar I had in the workshop.

You simply push down on the belt until the required 10kg load, the grommet on the shaft records the deflection, simple.

Yes I could have used the twist belt method or just done it up tight, but these don't satisfy my slight OCD and the need to know it's within spec. I can sleep again tonight. :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 10:30 #222627 by Scimike
D'oh !
No one spotted the mistake?
The rubber grommet is not a measure of belt deflection, it's just another measurement of load applied. Luckily my brain kicked in before I used it to tighten the belts. Still works well enough to apply the correct load, but you need two high visable marks on a suitable stick at the side of the belt to see the deflection.
It surprised me how tight the belts actually are compared to the old style fan belts of yesteryear. Being old and not use to this "modern stuff", my calibrated thumb would have never gone tight enough.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 May 2020 12:05 #222635 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 100% Road Princess
Serendipity and serpentine belts.....all good fun and pleased to see the cuppa! proper!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
23 May 2020 08:27 #222719 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic 100% Road Princess
Wowsers, that is doing it proper!

I'm a fan of proper but that far exceeds my standards!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Jul 2020 19:36 #224553 by Scimike
Say hello to the latest member of our family.
It's a 1984 Eriba Pan caravan collected today after a 400 mile round trip. It's called Matilda by the previous owners and this name appears to have stuck, especially with the better half.It's going to replace our Micro teardrop caravan, something I had wanted to do, but was reluctant due to only having a Jimny as a tow vehicle.
Let's be honest, the standard 1.3 Jimny is ok naked, but to me it never felt like it would cope very well with a full size caravan hanging off the back.
However Lambert tows a twin axle with a moving fluffy load (Baa), and BGBrit (Tony) has just set off on an epic road trip with the largest caravan he could fit attached, or was it just camera perspective?
So I decided it was just me putting the Jimny down and purchased Matilda. I should have done it ages ago, the Jimny tows the caravan brilliantly, no fuss, no problems. It's never going to win tow car of the year, but it will happily pull the van along at 50 -60 all day and actually feels stable even with the heavy load.
So that's my accommodation sorted for the Jimny meet, just need to tell the wife I am taking it.

Attachments:

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2020 19:44 #224557 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 100% Road Princess
Nice van. Got any interior pictures or are we to expect a van restoration thread?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jul 2020 20:09 #224559 by Scimike
Thanks Lambert.
No you are safe from a van restoration thread as it's 100% original and damp free. The Germans know how to make a dry caravan that will last.
It's a bad picture, but it's as it left the factory.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2020 20:20 - 05 Jul 2020 20:20 #224562 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 100% Road Princess
Very tidy, plenty of space too

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 05 Jul 2020 20:20 by Lambert.

More
05 Jul 2020 20:43 #224563 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 100% Road Princess
Looks very tidy for it's age, looks like it's hardly been used?

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds