BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
27 Mar 2024 11:16 - 27 Mar 2024 11:17 #255256 by 300bhpton
Thanks to a post made by @ rogerzilla   about a phone holder they bought on Amazon. I thought I'd follow suit and get one too. I'd been looking at the Quadlock options, but they are bit pricey. The main thing here is, I use an OS mapping tool for green laning, which sadly isn't Apple CarPlay compatible, so it won't display on the main infotainment screen. I therefore wanted something to mount my phone for the OS maps.

For £25 this seems to be good value for money compared to the Quadlock. I also thought the extra allen head screw might come in handy as a CB radio mic mounting point in the future.

Before:

The new panel:

Not the new item has a cut out on the right hand side, it looks a little funky at first. The new unit is deeper and sticks out further, the cut out is there to give plenty of room to reach the indicator stalk.

The plastic colour and texture is a very good match:

The allen head screws are similar, although the factory ones have a dark black rubberised feel to them. While the new panel ones look more like treated black metal. But you only notice it you look really closely or touch them.

The screws are removable, so you can change the angle or the phone bracket or swap it to the other side. Or in my case I plan to maybe hand a CB mic from here.

The new item comes with a small plastic tool to remove the existing panel. It slips in the gap and easily pops off, it is a case of being the ideal tool for the job and very easy.

The new item fixes back on in the same way, you need to fit the top and push it in before arcing it downwards for the bottom clips.

All done.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2024 11:17 by 300bhpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2024 22:17 #255262 by DrRobin

Thanks to a post made by @ rogerzilla   about a phone holder they bought on Amazon. I thought I'd follow suit and get one too. I'd been looking at the Quadlock options, but they are bit pricey. The main thing here is, I use an OS mapping tool for green laning, which sadly isn't Apple CarPlay compatible, so it won't display on the main infotainment screen. I therefore wanted something to mount my phone for the OS maps.

I use OSMAnd for off-road maps. OSMAnd is a fully featured SatNav but allows you to import GPX files and then display as an overlay.  Just download the off road GPX files from your favourite site.  It works with CarPlay/Android Auto but only if you buy a subscription (or one time payment). CarPlay doesn’t work in the free version.

I have Outdoor Active (used to be called ViewRanger) that is OS maps, which I use a lot for walking, but OSMAnd is more suited to driving, especially with custom GPX imports.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Mar 2024 22:39 #255263 by 300bhpton

I use OSMAnd for off-road maps. OSMAnd is a fully featured SatNav but allows you to import GPX files and then display as an overlay.  Just download the off road GPX files from your favourite site.  It works with CarPlay/Android Auto but only if you buy a subscription (or one time payment). CarPlay doesn’t work in the free version.

I have Outdoor Active (used to be called ViewRanger) that is OS maps, which I use a lot for walking, but OSMAnd is more suited to driving, especially with custom GPX imports.

Robin

Thanks. I use and subscribe to OutDoors GPS. Which I’ve been using for years. You can record or plan a route and upload a gpx file via the web portal. There is an online version and you can down load maps for off line use. 

But it isn’t CarPlay compatible. 

I do have OsmAnd Maps installed on my iPhone. But tbh I’ve never been able to make much sense of it. And didn’t really want to double up on subscriptions. 

The app is super slow to respond or zoom in and out and seems to show a load of nonsense on the map. I’ve messed about with the controls/options but never got it to even be usable. And it constantly spams buttons and options that seem to be pay only. 

Happy to learn if there is a better way to use it. But I’ve tried on several occasions and just ended up closing it giving up. The zoom in and out is like using a 1990’s PC on dial up.

Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2024 09:54 #255334 by 300bhpton

One thing I didn't complete on the suspension install was the caster correction bushes.

First jacked up and secured the vehicle and front axle and dropped the arms off: 

Getting the old bushes out could be a challenge, fortunately a friend pushed them out on his hydraulic press: 

New bushes are the Black Raptor poly ones, I pushed them in using a vice, then insert the off set drilled pin as per the diagrams supplied. 

Then refit the arms: 

Personally I didn't find the steering too affected prior to the bushes, it wanted to tram line a little more and felt a bit more twitchy around centre, but quite liveable. With the bushes fitted the steering feels just like a standard vehicle.

More
01 Apr 2024 10:06 #255337 by 300bhpton
Bravo Snorkel Update

As some of you will know, I was having some drone & vibration issues with the Bravo snorkel, more info in this thread: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...kel?start=108#252078

In Feb Bravo sent me out a new snorkel to try with a new bracket and pipework. There was also a new grill for the head that is a snugger fit.

Install is the same as before.

There was also a new band clamp for the snorkel head:

This is the best iteration thus far. I really do believe most of the noise was some kind of harmonic resonance. As the testing I've done with the different pipework give starkly different results. This setup is as good as it has ever been and good enough to live with. There is a small amount of harshness at circa 1200-1500rpm, but without taking the snorkel off of the vehicle, I couldn't be 100% certain it is the snorkel. The vibrations in the pedals and droning noise have all vanished.

Bravo have mentioned about some silicon hoses, although the hose they sent is as pictured, so I don't know if there will be any silicon hoses in the future. I can't really fault Bravo Snorkels as they have been very accommodating in trying to resolve the issues. I still like this snorkel and the fact you don't have to cut a hole in the wing!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds