BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Finally it's not standard

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2011 10:53 #16932 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Finally it's not standard
Thats strange - the wife also hates driving ours - even to the garage (but she loves her cherokee which is the same height) - must be the Jimnys smooth ride from the 31" special tracks :ohmy: , the taut 5" lifted suspension :sick: and the flat way it corners :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2011 17:40 - 25 May 2011 18:37 #16941 by dirtydogz
Had my wheels balanced with out the lead on the outside of the wheels and had bad death wobble at 35to 40 mph.:S
Then had the wheels rebalanced on the inside and outside of the wheels and had no death wobble.:laugh:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 25 May 2011 18:37 by dirtydogz.

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2011 18:33 #16965 by SPC5838
Replied by SPC5838 on topic Re: Finally it's not standard
Its fixed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kinda the same problem as you had dirtydogz, mine were balanced on the inside only and I watched the balancer show zero when they were fitted.

Had them done again today somewhere else and got them to check the balance first, with the machine set up for weights on both sides: right hand front needed 85 inside / 90 outside and left hand front 70 each side :pinch: Balanced my a**e ! :angry: They were actually better with all the weights off and spun again :S Anyway, now properly done on both sides and no shake at all :cheer:

Only weird thing was when the wheels were measured on the balancer, it came up that my 7x15's are actually 7.5x15 :huh: Oh well, not complaining :)

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2011 20:47 - 01 Jun 2011 21:03 #17205 by SPC5838
Added a couple of new fogs and shifted the ones it had up off the bumper, boredom + bank holiday summit was bound to happen to it :whistle:

Attachment 30052011239-003.jpg not found

Turns out the grille inserts are quite strong once they've been araldite'd in :) Bit of a difference compared to stock

Attachment 31052011242-001.jpg not found

Picked up a sheet of galvanised steel, so be turning that into a light duty bash plate this weekend to fit to the mounting points I found when the bumper got cut down. And tidy up the bumper trim and where the fogs were originally. And paint / underseal the front of the chassis / underside now it's visible and to stop it rusting anymore since Suzuki only bothered to paint most of it :unsure: Probably be as well doing the whole underside while I'm at it... and cut off the the pointless front nearside tow point since it's just about closer to the deck than the axle and wire the new fogs up properly come to think of it. And shift the front number plate up. And if I get all that done it'll be a miracle :woohoo: Still to get it lifted yet...

The bumper trim was worth doing, even if I had no choice to get the wheels on. Had a play with it off road in same places it was smacking the ground before, cleared it no bother ( apart from the now cracked number plate, def needs moved up )and the Toyo's worked just fine :laugh:

And the missus still hates driving it :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2011 21:03 by SPC5838.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 07:16 #17220 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Finally it's not standard
Could you please take some pictures to show the way you mounted the lights ? some interior pics of the front grill would be great. They look good and I plan to mount them in the same way.

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2011 21:42 - 02 Jun 2011 21:45 #17256 by SPC5838
Thanks VAXXi :) They need to be mounted right in the corners of the grille section with a large washer on the front behind the light mounting bracket and another behind on the inside. It was a bit trial and error, when I tried them in the middle of the grilles the plastic distorted and they wouldn't mount securely, the grilles themselves were bonded into the bonnet as they moved way too much otherwise. The grille slats still distort to a degree even with them in the corners, but it's not noticable behind the lights.

I'll get pictures for you this weekend when I'm connecting them up, I still have to figure out routing / securing the wiring to the front :huh: There's not a lot to attach it to.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 21:45 by SPC5838.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2011 07:14 #17264 by VAXXi
Aha, so I assume the bonnet front is quite flimsy anyway ... did you took out the black plastic grill which covers the ventilation holes ?

Maybe a wide strip of sheet metal in the back would help to reinforce the bonnet so it doesn't bend under the lights' weight. I'll have a look in the weekend and maybe come up with an idea or two; even two lights would make me quite happy.

The roof-mounted option looks cool, but they're much more prone to being stolen that way plus you have to route the cabling through the antenna socket and side pillar, translating into lots of work. Your way takes care of that, maybe except the cabling part which will need a flexible part from bonnet to battery :huh:

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2011 20:45 #17301 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Finally it's not standard
you could use the same route as the screen washers

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2011 21:32 - 05 Jun 2011 21:47 #17399 by SPC5838
The grilles are still in VAXXi, the lights are mounted onto them. The bonnet itself is strong enough, just the inserts ( mine at least ) seem to be a couple of mm too narrow. The clips half way down each edge ( where the red arrow is pointed ) dont, well, clip :S one side goes in the other pops out and vice versa, all that seems to hold them in is the white clips above and below

Attachment 127.jpg not found

The shiny stuff round the edges of the inserts is where I bonded them in, the big washers are catching the edges of the grille inserts where they are wider and stronger. I bonded the edge of the washer to the insert as well, possibly a bit too much :blush: as it run a bit, still needs tidying up. Quality Suzuki paint job also plain to see... if you can't see it grey primer will do :ohmy: Underside is the same, why it needs undersealed.

Attachment 128.jpg not found

With hindsight I would have used a T shape bracket with the bottom of the T out through the grille section and the top bent at a 90 odd degree angle and rivetted to the inside of the bonnet where it's double skinned. There's no movement on them like this, but if they do move or the grilles show signs of cracking I'll use the bracket idea. Should be OK though, the plastic the grilles are made of isn't brittle as the slats flexed when I tried mounted the lights in the middle of them and didn't crack.

Ended up working this w.end :( so wiring and other jobs still to be done. Job for day off on Thursday since I'm now off :laugh: The wiring for the original front fogs is still there so going to use it, then up to the clip holding the washer jets as Darth said and up through the inside of the bonnet bracing and there's a round hole just in the right place that will be in front of the slam panel rubber with the bonnet closed. Just the bit right behind the grille to figure out then :huh: Hooking them up in pairs parallel should keep the amount of wiring down at least.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 21:47 by SPC5838.

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jun 2011 18:55 - 07 Jun 2011 18:57 #17491 by SPC5838
Number plate moved up and bash plate done. Well, on at least :) Still to get painted black, way too shiny :whistle: Needed to do something to protect the new crankshaft pulley :S Fun filled day spent crawling under the Jimny, between changing the pulley in a car park with nothing more than a few spanners and a 17mm socket on a breaker bar and getting this on :lol:

Attachment 005_2011-06-07.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2011 18:57 by SPC5838.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2011 07:57 #17506 by VAXXi
I'm thinking that if the plastics in the hood break, they can be removed entirely. Then, build a strong bracket and fill back the vents with some kind of metallic net. Anyway, excellent idea :)

• SPC5838
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2011 20:27 - 08 Jun 2011 20:49 #17541 by SPC5838
Yeah, your right.... more I look at it the less I like it, decent knock or push through any undergrowth the grille will probably break :huh: .... Plan B and either cut the slats out of the inserts and mesh them over as you suggest and / or put a bracket out through them. Trial and error, got to love it !
Last edit: 08 Jun 2011 20:49 by SPC5838.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds