BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Don's Jimny

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2011 10:04 #14692 by bertbuckie
Replied by bertbuckie on topic Re: Don's Jimny
When I drive mine I compare it to a 20 year old car feel, its slow, bumpy, no mod-cons ( except electric windows... tho I'd kill for air con lol ) but it does what its meant to do....well!
The bad snow this year I drove a hell of a distance down untreated single track roads in as much as 2-3 foot drifts...... it got stuck once or twice but soon regained traction to escape :) - It was going places all the q5's and q7's and x5's etc couldnt..... with road tyres and no lift so it's more than capable in my eyes and if she carries on like this I will be looking at another zuki when I need more space :) - Hopefully there all so good :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2011 11:50 #14695 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: Don's Jimny
Yeah im looking forward to the snow just to see what it can do, thats if i keep it that long... we'll see how it goes with running costs, etc.

Does anyone know how much the MPG is affected by having the front hubs locked? i.e. the vacuum system not working?

More
08 Apr 2011 18:47 #14710 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Don's Jimny
Mine does about 200 miles on a full tank ... mind you, that is also with 2" suspension, 2" body lift & 215x80 rubber ...

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2011 06:05 #14724 by bertbuckie

ooky_123 wrote: Mine does about 200 miles on a full tank ... mind you, that is also with 2" suspension, 2" body lift & 215x80 rubber ...

Mines about 240 miles on a full tank in 2wd without the hubs locked..... on mixture of length trips ( and I barely ever go over 50-55mph )

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2011 06:48 #14725 by doncarlyon

ooky_123 wrote: Mine does about 200 miles on a full tank ... mind you, that is also with 2" suspension, 2" body lift & 215x80 rubber ...

Similar mods to mine, are your fronts locked or not?

More
09 Apr 2011 07:55 #14729 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Don's Jimny
Locked.
Cannot get over 50 mph unless in 3rd gear and ringing its neck !

Off road, I can do about £150 miles before she is almost dry though .. that running 4x4 all the time

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2011 16:18 #14736 by doncarlyon
Havent really tried a top speed run lol.

I might invest in some AVM manual hubs, can always sell them on if the MPG / Power isnt really affected by the fronts being locked.

Painted my spare wheel black today. Not a brilliant job but better than it was!

• bertbuckie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2011 17:03 #14737 by bertbuckie
Good :)
Today I changed one side of the signum front brake discs and hoovered out the jimny and signum while the wife flash dashed them :)

• downhilldude
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2011 20:58 #14746 by downhilldude
Replied by downhilldude on topic Re: Don's Jimny
My friends Jimny gets 280-320 to a tank. You'd get 310 on a motorway run driving at 55mph ish and about 280 with general town driving. It's standard with no mods, so maybe thats why.

Whats this about locking front hubs? Could anyone explain this?
I've heard about this but I didn't know there was a way to lock/unlock the front hubs?
He's getting that mpg with just in 2WD.

Cheers.

• doncarlyon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2011 05:57 #14749 by doncarlyon
The front hubs are vacuum operated, when they fail you cant get 4wd as the front hubs dont "select". So although the transfer box is sending power to the front diff, the front wheels arent engaged so arent working.

Some people fit manual hubs, others permanently lock the front hubs to the driveshafts. In this case, even in 2wd, the front wheels are turning the driveshafts / diff / propshaft. which causes more "drag" and will use more fuel and sap power... how much doesnt seem to be known.

• downhilldude
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2011 18:03 #14785 by downhilldude
Replied by downhilldude on topic Re: Don's Jimny

doncarlyon wrote: The front hubs are vacuum operated, when they fail you cant get 4wd as the front hubs dont "select". So although the transfer box is sending power to the front diff, the front wheels arent engaged so arent working.

Some people fit manual hubs, others permanently lock the front hubs to the driveshafts. In this case, even in 2wd, the front wheels are turning the driveshafts / diff / propshaft. which causes more "drag" and will use more fuel and sap power... how much doesnt seem to be known.

Ah ok, and is the vacuum system breaking a common problem?
So if your vacuum system is working when in 2WD the front hubs should be fully disconnected?

My friend seems to have pulled out, what I think to be is a vacuume hose, it's routed under the rear arm. I pushed it back in and everything seems to be working 100% in 4WD and 2WD.

Cheers.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Apr 2011 04:00 #14807 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Don's Jimny
the vacuum hoses are on the front as its the front hubs that select not the rears. the rears are always engaged

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds