BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Compatibility of Catalytic Converters

More
22 Feb 2024 17:02 #254514 by tomlil01
Hi, all,

I'm looking for a used catalytic converter for my 2005 Jimny VVT (second cat, not the one on the manifold.

Does anyone know, will any cat from 2005 onwards fit? E.g. 2016. Or did they change over the years?

Thanks
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2024 17:34 #254516 by DrRobin
There are [at least] two different exhaust layouts on Gen 3 Jimny, with pipe length/flange different.

You might be best off looking in the parts catalogue and compare against the CAT which is already fitted.

catalogs.ssg.asia/totalcatalog/?st=30&l=...Q9PTM5NzI%3D&lang=en

By the way the CATs aren't expensive new (approx £75), especially if you go for an after market one.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Feb 2024 17:39 #254517 by DrRobin
Sorry I meant this link to exploded diagrams parts list.

catalogs.ssg.asia/suzuki/?lang=en#bWFya2...MTNWLFRZUEUvVFlQRSA2

The other link is handy as it gives cross reference parts.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
22 Feb 2024 18:02 #254519 by yakuza
A new one that should be bolt on with the pipes and all from a Euro car part store here in Norway is like 200- 300 euro. should not be more in EU or UK. I would not recommend buying a used cat as they mostly get congested over time and the aftermarket ones are fairly cheap.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
22 Feb 2024 18:20 #254520 by DrRobin
A quick search here shows BM CATs for a 2005 Jimny are about £106.

I fitted BM CATs to my other vehicle, they seemed good, although it turns out one of the 'hangers' was in the wrong place so the garage welded a new one in place.

This could have been a case of 'a model' change for the year of my car. If you use the parts catalogue link I sent in the first post, it has BM part numbers against original Suzuki.

I should imagine an original Suzuki CAT is rather more than £100.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
22 Feb 2024 18:45 #254521 by tomlil01
Original one is about 1200 GBP from Suzuki.

I was looking at used original cats, because I put a non original one on just a year ago and it seems to have failed and causing a blockage already.

Also, it was difficult to fit according to my mechanic because it was not exactly the same as the original.

Thanks for that web page!
Lee

More
22 Feb 2024 19:13 #254523 by tomlil01
Hi, Robin,

My car is apparently SN413V-5.

Am I reading the parts list correctly that this 2016 cat should fit?

cuztoms.co.uk/products/suzuki-jimny-cata...c-converter-2016-29k

Thanks
Lee

More
26 Feb 2024 17:42 - 26 Feb 2024 17:46 #254610 by tomlil01
Hi, Yakuza

I replaced my second cat with a cheap one and I seem to have no blockage now. Back pressure test on the whole exhaust system is good. Performance seems back to normal.

When I took the second cat off a lot of metallic "sand" fell out, I think from the upstream end. Do you think that since I only replaced the second cat ~1 year ago that this points to the first cat causing the problem? My mechanic looked at the first cat with a special camera and said it looked intact. Also, I did a back pressure test on just the first cat and there was no blockage. However, I am not sure whether the honeycomb might look ok, but be still causing issues by dropping this "sand" into the second cat?

Thanks
Lee
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2024 17:46 by tomlil01.

More
26 Feb 2024 18:16 #254612 by DrRobin
Hi,

It looks like your first CAT has disintegrated and blocked the second CAT. The first CAT doesn't get blocked when it disintegrates as all of the material gets pushed in to the second CAT.

Chances are your second CAT was OK (if it was only a year old), if you could have cleaned out all of the 'sand' like material.

Either way it is now fixed.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
26 Feb 2024 20:50 #254621 by tomlil01
Thanks, Robin. I guess I will replace the first cat as well, so as not to risk damaging the second cat again.

More
26 Feb 2024 23:16 - 26 Feb 2024 23:19 #254624 by yakuza
Glad you found your soulution.
My two broken cats, one jimny and one Swift, where both so broken it was easy to see.
The jimny one rattled and was 30-40 % disintegrated but visible defects only from the engine side.
The Swift had a big hole thru it kind of melted.

I tried to flush the jimny no2 cat first with air pressure and then water. Put it back without the no1 cat but the car was still lacking in power.
I think the powder burn stuck on to the next cat.

Not sure you need both the cats though, the Swift only got one from New and my jimny pass the mot with only one cat. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2024 23:19 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
27 Feb 2024 18:36 #254647 by jackonlyjack
It is possible to smash out the first cat 
and it will pass the mot with a good second cat

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds