BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing brake slider pins on Aisin calipers

More
31 Jan 2024 08:19 #253894 by robs5230
Got issues with a sticking caliper on my 06.
This is a job I tackled about 10 years ago on another Jimny I had, and can't really remember the job.

Can anyone refresh my memory on any issues with this job?
I'm hoping I can do this, with the brakes still attached to the vehicle, rather than completely removing calipers.

I also remember the seals being quite tricky to fit on the pins. 

Is there a guide to doing this job anywhere?

Many thanks, Rob

standard jimny - for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2024 09:27 #253900 by DrRobin
Hi,

I put new brake pads and discs on a couple of weeks ago and the sliders were stuck, more so on the drivers side.

I think you will need to take the callipers off to get the pins out, but this is straight forward, you only need to take the two small bolts out of the centre of the pins and don’t need to take the calliper bracket off, which is in tight.

I had to tap the pins out of mine with a drift and small hammer. Then just clean them up and put back with some silicone grease or special rubber safe grease.

There is a couple of guides in the wiki.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla

More
31 Jan 2024 17:54 #253918 by robs5230
Cheers
I was hoping to be able to leave the brake lines attached, to save bleeding. I' guess I'll have to see how it goes.

I think the last time I did the job, I fully rebuilt the calipers with new pistons and seals, so had them on the bench

standard jimny - for now

More
31 Jan 2024 18:09 - 31 Jan 2024 18:17 #253920 by Scimike
You don't need to remove the caliper if luck is with you.
Undo the two bolts that fix the caliper to the caliper carriage, these bolts actually go into the sliders. Lift the caliper up off the disk and change the slider pins and rubber seals. It's just the same amount of taking apart required to change the pads. One of mine was very stuck, but application of heat to the caliper got it moving eventually. Sure the rubber pin seal melted, but too much mass in the piston to cause damage.
Did mine last year and fitted new pins and slider "bellow" seals. The new set of bellows was easier to fit than the originals, they appeared to have improved the design to aid installation.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2024 18:17 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robs5230

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jan 2024 20:00 #253924 by Lambert
If you are lucky then one trick is to use each slide bolt in turn to anchor that slide to the carrier so that with the caliper swung up clear of the disc you can apply some body weight to getting the slide moving then repeat for the other slide. It's not a guarantee but if they are only mildly stuck it's a good way of not having to beat things with hammers unnecessarily. It does help if you have the upper body strength of an orangutan.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Jan 2024 20:19 #253926 by mlines
A very common cause of the caliper slider sticking is that the rubber boot has expanded jamming the slider. They expand if they have come in contact with oil based grease. If the boots are hard to fit it is likely they have expanded, new boots are therefore easier to fit. Always use a non mineral based lubricant such as red rubber grease

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Jan 2024 20:19 #253927 by DrRobin

Cheers
I was hoping to be able to leave the brake lines attached, to save bleeding. I' guess I'll have to see how it goes.

I think the last time I did the job, I fully rebuilt the calipers with new pistons and seals, so had them on the bench
i didn’t disconnect the brake line, just swung them up and rested on the hub or calliper bracket.  Then holding the calliper and drift in one hand gently tapped the pins out with a small hammer.  

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds