BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Wandering on the Road

More
10 Dec 2023 18:29 - 10 Dec 2023 18:30 #252782 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Wandering on the Road

If you can fabrication yourself my damper kit cost about 30 quid and a couple of hours 
Use a Mk1 disco damper around 20 quid on ebay

Thanks for that, found one on t Fleecebay 275654720824 for £34.95 so TBH wasn't sure it was worth the effort as I'd have to buy the steel, went with a MK1 damper £25 hope it fits, as his kit with a damper worked out at £45 for the damper.

Also ordered the castor kit, so figure on getting it all fitted & then take it to get the tracking checked so next question, do you use factory setting for the toe when lifted 2"
Last edit: 10 Dec 2023 18:30 by Phaeton. Reason: Spilling mustake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2023 19:01 #252784 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Wandering on the Road
I think you will find that the kit and a Mk1 disco damper will fit perfectly. I bought a similar fix kit and damper from another supplier, paid about £70, but would have been cheaper to just buy the fix kit and damper separately.

The kit (brackets) are easy to fit, I did mine in about 30 minutes in the dark late one afternoon, just centre the steering and then pull the damper out about half way before adjusting the nuts on the threaded bar.

If my damper gives up the will to go on then it will be replaced with a £25 job like yours.

Together with your tow bar that’s going to be another job done in the dark, ah the joys of [winter] motor mechanics.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Phaeton

More
10 Dec 2023 19:33 #252786 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Wandering on the Road
Disco 1 damper will work fine with the jimnybits kit you have bought
has for tracking yes you use factory which I think is + - 3 degrees
If you can afford it i would fit 4 new track rod ends 2 left hand thread 2 right hand thread 
Also buy new nuts I got mine from jimnybits 

More
10 Dec 2023 19:52 #252787 by Ulltand
Replied by Ulltand on topic Wandering on the Road
Its a Suzuki way to keep you awake. Not possible doze back in 70 mph! ;)

More
10 Dec 2023 22:16 #252790 by Roger Fairclough
Gen.4 caster is 1deg.55min. +or- 1deg.

Roger

More
12 Dec 2023 09:38 #252819 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Wandering on the Road
I just fitted the EV1 Monotube shocks from Des Sol (des-sol.co.za/the-des-sol-ev-shock-absorber-series/). No more wandering, no more wobble, no more adverse reaction from irregularities or pot holes in the road. My Jimny now handles better on the road than my SX4.

Only thing is, you may need to wait a while, they aren't able to keep up with local demand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages, Phaeton

More
13 Dec 2023 15:21 #252846 by lookonimages

saxj wrote: I just fitted the EV1 Monotube shocks from Des Sol (des-sol.co.za/the-des-sol-ev-shock-absorber-series/). No more wandering, no more wobble, no more adverse reaction from irregularities or pot holes in the road. My Jimny now handles better on the road than my SX4.

Only thing is, you may need to wait a while, they aren't able to keep up with local demand.

Had the dessol 50mm with Gabriel shocks. Very tempting to get the new shocks

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
14 Dec 2023 10:27 #252867 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:Wandering on the Road

saxj wrote: I just fitted the EV1 Monotube shocks from Des Sol (des-sol.co.za/the-des-sol-ev-shock-absorber-series/). No more wandering, no more wobble, no more adverse reaction from irregularities or pot holes in the road. My Jimny now handles better on the road than my SX4.

Had the dessol 50mm with Gabriel shocks. Very tempting to get the new shocks

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
I have been through 3 sets of Gabriels in 4 years. Their quality was not what it should be. Now they don't exist any more. 

The EV1's are expensive, but well worth it. I am really pleased with them.

More
14 Dec 2023 11:58 #252870 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Re:Wandering on the Road
Bushes, Bracket & Damper all here, just need to get some time to have a go at fitting, intended to do the bushes first, but not looking forward to fighting the old ones, so may leave that till I know I can get into a friends garage to use his press.

Is there any adjustment on the steering box, I was looking yesterday there looks to be a little play from turning the wheel before the arm moves coming out of the box, but it's very difficult on your own to be at both ends at once. Seem to remember back in the 70's being able to add a little more preload to take up some of the slack.

More
14 Dec 2023 20:14 #252884 by jackonlyjack
Can do large lock nut on top of steering box 
But only turn/tighten the center part in 1mm increments 
Taking all the slack out is a really bad thing to do 
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
14 Dec 2023 20:24 #252885 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Wandering on the Road
As just said, the steering mechanism needs some slack to work otherwise you can break it. Make small adjustments only

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
22 Dec 2023 19:55 #253014 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Re:Re:Wandering on the Road
Had a spare hour this afternoon before it went too dark, have to do everything outside no garage, but all went really well all sorted within the hour from going out to coming back in. Went straight on no hassles at all, only thing I did change in the kit was to replace the 8mm nuts with some nylocks

Might try the castor bushes tomorrow, not 100% sure what she has planned for me, hopefully not a lot.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds