BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 3 Engine Managment light

More
05 Oct 2023 13:47 - 05 Oct 2023 13:51 #251193 by UKCarl
Hi all, 
I'm getting frustrated and need some help. Vehicle is 03 plate M13A (non VVT) with an engine light that comes on every few hundred miles, OBD reports codes P0400
I'm a little up against time to fix as it's my sons vehicle and he has a driving test booked soon (no warning lights allowed), so far I've

- Changed O2 sensor 1
- Changed O2 sensor 2 + cat (but reads a flat 1.275 volts)
- Changed IAC
- Changed EGR valve
- Cleaned PCV value
- Changed TPS (this now only read 13%-78%)
To be changed this weekend are sparks plugs / coil pack

When cold the car needs some revs to pull away otherwise stalls. Drives perfectly when warm except occasionally when ticking over can hunt a bit (maybe 700-1100rpm)

Is there anything I've missed or does anyone have any other good suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Carl
Last edit: 05 Oct 2023 13:51 by UKCarl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2023 14:36 #251194 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 3 Engine Managment light
The P0400 code has a specific definition, from the Jimny FSM this is "EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION FLOW MALFUNCTION", and the possible causes are listed as ...

EGR valve or it's circuit
EGR passage
ECM

Essentially, the ECM runs a test by commanding the ECR valve to open whilst monitoring the "pressure" in the intake manifold, and if the change in pressure is less than expected, you'll get this code.

The EGR valve could be not opening, because it's defective, you'll get the code; the EGR valve could be not opening because there's a problem with the electrical circuit, you'll get the code; the EGR valve could be not opening because the driver circuit in the ECM failed, you'll get the code.

The EGR valve could be opening and there is insufficient change in the manifold pressure because the EGR passage is blocked with carbon from the exhaust, you'll get this code.

My guess is your problem is the last, but it's just a guess.

More
05 Oct 2023 14:43 #251195 by UKCarl
Replied by UKCarl on topic Gen 3 Engine Managment light
Thanks for the quick reply.
I replaced the EGR valve, I guess I now need to remove the inlet manifold and pipe connecting the EGR and clean out. (I didn't do that previously as the old EGR looked pretty clean)

Thanks

Carl

More
05 Oct 2023 17:21 #251199 by fordem
You might want to take a look at the exhaust side as well - unless I'm very much mistaken the EGR system runs off the #4 exhaust port, through the exhaust manifold, through a drilling in the head and then out to the EGR valve.

More
05 Oct 2023 17:58 - 05 Oct 2023 17:59 #251202 by jackonlyjack
Changed my throttle body other week 
I think I may have seen where it recirculates into the Inlet 
Maybe you could guide a thin wire in and give it a good wiggle 
Without removing Inlet manifold 

Just a thought 
Last edit: 05 Oct 2023 17:59 by jackonlyjack.

More
06 Oct 2023 08:16 #251214 by UKCarl
Thanks for the advice. Day off today so will be taking it all apart and cleaning etc. fingers crossed.

More
06 Oct 2023 08:39 #251215 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen 3 Engine Managment light
Check the MAP sensor too, make sure the port is clear.
It should throw a P0105 code if the ECU decides that the pressure readings are way off, but if it is sluggish because the port is blocked it might cause your symptoms.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
06 Oct 2023 18:20 #251226 by fordem

Changed my throttle body other week 
I think I may have seen where it recirculates into the Inlet 
Maybe you could guide a thin wire in and give it a good wiggle 
Without removing Inlet manifold 

Just a thought 

A "frayed out" inner cable from an old bowden cable (clutch cable or similar) in a power drill at low rpm does a fairly good job, but there are bends that even that can't get around, like the ones in the exhaust side of the passage.

More
07 Oct 2023 09:25 #251234 by jackonlyjack
I would say a gear cable from a push bike 
this would be more flexible 

More
08 Oct 2023 09:08 #251257 by UKCarl
Thanks for the advice, quick update.

Took everything (except exhaust manifold off Friday and cleaned all out) there were no obviousl blockages but it's difficult to check where the egr is mounted.

Light stayed off for long drives on Fri and Sat, thought I'd fixed it but came back on today, grrrrr.

The MAP sensor works (I can check via the OBD) but is it possible due to being 20yrs old it has lost some sensititvty? (I've replaced the EGR and cleaned everything so I guess the only other option is an electricasl fault not triggering the EGR which would be vewry difficult to find.

More
20 Oct 2023 15:06 #251599 by UKCarl
Just to circle back to this.

I couldn't solve it so removed the engine light from the dash for his driving test (he passed)

However I couldn't do this for the MOT and they diagnosed it as a duff Lambda sensor (I bought some from ebay supposidly for the Jimny, lesson learnt).

All good now

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds