BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering pump bleeding

More
21 Aug 2023 11:04 #250429 by RogersJimmy
I am about to fit a replacement steering pump to my 2000 model Jimny.  Does the system need bleeding afterwards - and, if so, how?
Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2023 12:02 #250431 by RogersJimmy
Replied by RogersJimmy on topic Steering pump bleeding
Further to my query about bleeding the power steering, I have now removed the belt thinking the pump is worn out as the steering makes a whine all the time that increases to a nasty growly whine the further the steering wheel is turned. However, I find the pump feels fine and smooth when turned by hand, except for 1mm end float on the pulley, but the idler has some slop in it although spins quietly when not under tension.

My secondhand replacement pump feels exactly the same.

No oil leaks.

So, do I go to the trouble of fitting the s/h pump only to find that the noise is still there?

Or do I just replace the idler bearing in case that is the problem?

Or . . . could it be something else entirely?  Do the steering boxes whine like this?

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll get this sorted one way or another!

More
21 Aug 2023 16:58 #250434 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Steering pump bleeding
Pumps can whine if they are low on oil or if the strainer in the reservoir is blocked (not all cars have a strainer).
Bearings can also make odd noises. If you have any movement in the idler bearing I'd recommend replacing it. It's up to you if you just do the bearing first or both the bearing and the pump.

As far as bleeding is concerned, fill the reservoir then start the engine and keep winding the steering side to side, topping up as needed. In the beginning it may well make all sorts of whines and gurgles as the oil sorts itself out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
21 Aug 2023 17:25 #250435 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Steering pump bleeding
It's much more likely to be the idler bearing than the pump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds