BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2007, few issues, any help appreciated.

More
04 Jul 2023 22:03 #249715 by weecorey
Flew to Scotland from Ireland on Sunday and brought a 2007 VVT JLX home for my young lad, couple of issues that I'm not sure where to start with so I'll ask here first.

1st problem, when the car is running it idles high at around 1300rpm, when your driving and stop at a junction the rpm fluctuates from 1300-1800rpm.

2nd problem, 4wd lock isn't working, vacuum hubs aren't ingaging, the green light on the dash which indicates that the system is ingaging 4wd is constantly flashing. Nothing happens when I press any of the 3 buttons related to the 4wd/2wd system. Seller said this only happened after the car had a new clutch fitted and his wife hit the 4wd engage button, wether or not that's the truth I don't know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2023 06:19 #249717 by me101
Not sure on the idle, but that is high! Most common issue with the hubs is vacuum leak. Most common fix is manual hubs, unless you want to replace vac lines.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2023 06:29 #249718 by Lambert
Before jumping to manual hubs I would suggest that it having had a fairly invasive procedure done recently that you check all the electrical plugs and wires are connected and not trapped and the same for the vacuum lines. Taking the gearbox out offers lots of opportunities for the inconsiderate to disturb things without rechecking them afterwards. The high idle and lack of vacuum could easily be linked.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Jul 2023 10:02 #249964 by Darthblaker7474
With the idle, check the position of the throttle.

I adjusted mine in an attempt to get it in spec. which inadvertently meant it was open too much, causing a fluctuating idle like yourself. I put it back to where it was originally and that solved it.

More
23 Jul 2023 13:59 #249969 by facade
High idle could be a vacuum leak, possibly the pipe from the manifold to the 4WD vacuum solenoid valves under the battery is missing or broken.
Check all rubber pipes that go to the manifold, like the brake servo as well.

A stuck vacuum solenoid valve can vent the vacuum tank and cause the 4WD system to be inoperative too, so if that manifold pipe is connected, try clamping it closed and see if the idle improves.

The idle is controlled by an electric bypass valve on top of the manifold - it needs the throttle pretty much fully closed to work

I recall when I did my clutch that there are some wires that drape over the top of the bell housing that continually try to get caught in the gap between the bell housing and the engine block when you fit the gearbox. I think it was just the reverse light switch with the manual transfer box, but ther might be extra wires for a push button box..

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds