BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

JB74 Traction Improvements

More
11 Jul 2023 10:11 #249825 by 300bhpton

Throttle blipping and left foot braking allied to light weight and smaller size can go a long way to countering a locking diff.

Roger
Indeed left foot braking can help. Use it a lot trialling as the ALRC does not allow diff lockers or ATBs in the regs while competing.

Not sure I'm convinced on the weight thing, I know it is often cited when discussing Jimny's off road. But I can't quite follow the physics of it.

I do know big heavier vehicle can also be very good off road and have never noticed shedding weight to improve this in anyway.

The narrow track and overall dimensions of the Jimny give a good advantage over a 90, but less so when comparing to say an 80 or 88" coiler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jul 2023 11:20 #249826 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic JB74 Traction Improvements
The only time I got my 90 stuck was as a direct consequence of it being too heavy trying to pull my Sankey through too wet of a gateway, the whole rig just sank as soon as any torque was applied. Same gateway in even wetter conditions and a Jimny with a heavier but twin axle trailer and it just went over the top long enough for the front wheels to make it to the tarmac and haul the trailer through. The additional 500kg of the 90 wasn't very helpful on that day.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Jul 2023 16:16 #249832 by Roger Fairclough
If you drive a route that has ruts created by bigger heavier motors, ie LR,s or similar, then you can run in one rut and just about run adjacent to the other rut because of your reduced track. You are also helped by the reduced weight which will reduce your chance of breaking the edge of the rut you are so close too.

Roger

More
11 Jul 2023 20:21 #249841 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic JB74 Traction Improvements
Weight makes a huge difference! There are many marshy places on our farm where the Jimny goes effortlessly but the Defender just leaves deep ruts. Before I had a Jimny we only ever went to these places with a quadbike. In slippery conditions and on steep climbs the low weight is also a big advantage.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds