BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

oil leak

• robkey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2018 19:59 #196131 by robkey
oil leak was created by robkey
is there a seal in there if so where can i get one please
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2018 19:49 #196195 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic oil leak
Which propshaft is it and what year is the car with which engine would help.

More
22 Sep 2018 10:45 #196202 by facade
Replied by facade on topic oil leak
That is a CV joint, and has a bit of grease inside, not oil. If the rubber boot is torn, I believe that you can bodge some sort of CV boot over it, maybe slit it and superglue, or partially dismantle the shaft and use one of those expander cones to get it on. If it is grease coming out around the middle you can put a soft wire or plastic clip around the rubber to tighten it.

If oil is coming out it is because on the VVT gearboxes there was some problem with the splines that allowed gearbox oil to travel along them, exit at the flange nut and fill the cavity then get into the CV joint through a hole in the end seal and soak through to the outside. There was talk of some epoxy sealant applied to the CV cover stopping this, but I'd have thought it needed sealing at the gearbox to keep the oil inside it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds